Cherished number plates aka private reg

Pid_16V

Admin (Uncle Al)
Club Admin
Nov 20, 2006
Mansfield (Robin Hood Country)
Nothing to do much att 03.00am this morning apart from giving up on trying to sleep, so got up and made a cuppa, took it back up to bed and sat browsing tinternet on me phone. Landed on one of the cherished reg sites and started throwing initials at it and this came up "ALP 1D" :eek: :eek:. I even chucked an enquiry email at it as no price was listed but this morning a gets a reply saying they could probably source this for £4000 plus vat plus £80 transfer :bomb:..

Only my dad has a car new enough to put one of these on, but his isn't available; one with mum's and son's initials (happen to be the same) exists but not listed for sale, one for daughter is but pointless as it's obviously in her 'maiden' name:

VN60EAB, as in VNGOE A B

I've seen a couple I would like, GO 60 MJW would be good on the Mondeo but not gone for it as if my next car is older then I wouldn't be able to use it.
If I ever end up with a Monaro I've seen a couple of suitable ones but if that ever happens I'll probably be too concerned about fuel bills to be able to spend money on a private plate!

I paid £399 for V666CGR from the DVLA, that included all fees, despite being drunk when I bought it I don't regret it.
I nearly bought GO61BBO (GO GIBBO) a few years ago but didn't because I don't own a car new enough to put it on. :)

I've always fancied E111 OTT. The .Gov MOT checking site lists it as belonging to a red '98 Merc, with the last MOT expired in 2011.

Last edited:
XK04ROD on the XK8 (it's a 2004 vehicle), cost 399 from DVLA. XK04JAG was available at the time, for the same price, which was tempting. Interestingly the last XK8 off the production line is XK05JAG . .

JAG53L is on a Jaguar; back in the 1980s it was on - possibly the original VRM for - a Jaguar XJC. And I have a photo of the back, as we travelled behind it.
JAG 5.3L

Dad once bought a Granada estate with the reg. B882VNG (his initial is B).

I've always fancied E111 OTT. The .Gov MOT checking site lists it as belonging to a red '98 Merc, with the last MOT expired in 2011.

Got to be worth asking about mate. I know a plate can't be transferred from a car without a current MOT (or so I believe, a problem Dick had some years ago), but after all this time there may be ways and means.

I have bought only 2 private plates in my history of motoring
R15 GTT (To look like RLS, my initials and GTT because it went on the skyline) - £250 including transfer
and recently
SM12 THU (to look like Smithy, SM12 THY was £7,500!!) - ending in a U saved me £7,250, wasn’t really a hard decision, this is now on the V250

My boss recently bought a plate, £45,000!!!! When he gave me the invoice to pay I was a little like WTF!!

Years ago, when I had a mk4 cortina, my x fil bought a mk2 granada with reg ENU 1T (enuit). I tried to convince him to sell it but he just didn't get it at all, remember, this was pre-Internet. He only had a infants image of an Eskimo in a perfect igloo and a hole in the ice [emoji2960]

Sent from my Xperia 10 using Tapitap

Early next month, when my youngest reaches 21 and receives one for his birthday, all our vehicles will have a private plate of some description.
Mine is Cougar related - DC51CAT, Karen's contains her initials and year of birth - L70KMH, Matt's is self explanatory - M444TUW and Nathan's will have his initials and a nod to his favourite team - MU54NJH.

Last edited:
Nathan's will have his initials and a nod to his favourite team - MU54NJH.

Andy....what on earth happened??

hfEMPo8.gif

At least ALP 1D is only 4 grand. Just do what I did, go out and have a few drinks then come home and buy it. I thought mine was only £2495, but, it turned out to be £24995. Money well spent. Wonder how much it is worth now?