The Mondeo Story

Mako

Club Member
Feb 6, 2011
Milton Keynes
For anyone interested in our history. A couple things...

1) I don't know exactly where this man gets his internal Ford information from, so I make no claims as to its veracity.

2) This guy is apparently an ex-Ford supplier, (entertainment systems) and doesn't understand the difference between Ford and Mercury as it was in the USA. Properly goes off on a rant at one point. I was there at the time (the 80s) so I do really get it, but he's got a stick up his bum about it.

3) I have no idea whether a Cougar - now or then - could ever hit 140MPH and I don't think I would ever test it. Not even in Wildcat. It's a "personal luxury coupe" not a sportscar.

4) As you watch this video, note that all the licence plates on this "world car" would read okay if the image was flipped. Deliberate, of course.

I once had a consistent 135mph out of the Rover 620ti under ideal track conditions. As you know, they and their physically smaller brethren are a totally different experience to drive. But unless you can find a cliff high enough, or a tail hurricane, I too doubt the 140mph claim for the cougar...

I think I vaguely remember someone on here posting a picture of their GPS/satnav screen showing a speed of 139mph, achieved on a derestricted autobahn in Germany IIRC....

Either that or I dreamt it.... :)

Both Tracey and I have had Jinxy up to 140 indicated before we chickened out because that's well beyond where you lose your licence... assuming we'd done it on the A5 or some other 70MPH road. It's the sort of speed beyond what we humans have evolved to deal with, especially since someone else on the track might do something unpredictable, like enter the road and expect you to not be an idiot.

Wildcat has - under my ownership - never gone above about 98MPH and never will. I know what she can do and I don't ask her to do it.

Tiger once got wrung out and that was around ~redacted~, though she was still pulling and would've eventually got to 140 or so. Again, I backed off before she did.

Not to defend the Zetecs, but... I'd prefer to be able to get up to legal speeds with a quickness with a V6 instead of necessarily being able to get it all illegal.

The problem of course is that the Zetecs need to be beaten up to compensate for the lack of torque. And that's fine, I think.

I think I vaguely remember someone on here posting a picture of their GPS/satnav screen showing a speed of 139mph, achieved on a derestricted autobahn in Germany IIRC....

Either that or I dreamt it.... :)

Nope that was me! 139 steady GPS reading, speedo was off the gauge at 150, the engine felt it still had more but hit some sort of limiter it felt like
10e019fc-7b82-436a-9fb4-410553fdc3ce

- - - Updated - - -

0a3f492b-8ace-4ab6-8ef1-b99696a0b7d4

3) I have no idea whether a Cougar - now or then - could ever hit 140MPH and I don't think I would ever test it. Not even in Wildcat. It's a "personal luxury coupe" not a sportscar.

I can personally confirm that it will, in V6 flavour at least. I maxed my first one on German autobahns on numerous occasions; at just over an indicated 145 (141 on the satnav, just as Andy says) it would 'bounce' as though hitting some kind of limiter, drop down a few MPH then build back up.

Just replying to this post, back in the day. Due to an airport run and back my Silver Zetec T750KVX on the night on the speedo showed 130mph at a constant speed on the M20/ M26/ M3 my foot was trying to push it through the floor.

Further back, whilst driving my Jaguar from Newcastle to Dover took me 4hrs at midnight via the A1/ M1 at an average speed of 150mph. When I passed someone it was as if they were going backwards!.. Middle of winter, when I arrived 4hrs later and stepped out of the car, the electric ariel retracted and snapped off the near vertical icicles that had formed there. I had to replace all 4 tyres after that run and still remember it.

- - - Updated - - -

P.s If anyone comes across T750KVX please let me know

Hi Joejo. I'm sorry to say that vehicle has not been taxed or MOTed in just under five years.

It's either dismantled (not SORNed) or just possibly on a private plate.