Rockauto

Thanks Rich, there are some bargains indeed. My biggest problem is knowing whether the parts will fit my UK spec vehicle. I notice mention of 14" wheels in places - I can't imagine. Otherwise maybe a 'Group Buy' might save on carriage ?

Sometimes these people just have a fixed rate for each part and a fixed shipping, e.g. USPS Express ( air mail ) which is very expensive. Whereas a 'Surface Mail' ( aka a boat ) would be more appropriate and a lot cheaper though slower. Has anyone got any experience with Rock Auto ?

Definitely something to be wary of, Noel. They have 2-bolt lower wishbones (Mondeo-type ones) listed which - as far as I know - were never fitted to UK-spec cars, (though in theory you could use the subframe from an ST24 if you really wanted to use them).

Some very silly prices there though! Who was it that was after a water pump gasket?

I see someone finally discovered rock auto?

On the wishbones with 2 bolts most of if not all of the 99s had a 2 bolt wishbone later models got the 4 bolt version you guys always had.

Noel for what fits. Pretty much anything that doesnt have a side preference in controlling the car. I.e. steering rack and such. Engine parts should be the same. Trans parts should be the same. Cooling system should be the same. I THINK the fuse boxes and wiring out of the cabin is the same. However I seem to remember my stock light bulbs were different in the tail lights. Like the bulb itself. You also have to keep in mind some option stuff may be different. We didnt have headlight levelers. We didnt have a heated windscreen. Things of that nature.
We had a different fuel system in some of our cars too.

Yes all of mine have solid red lights other then the set I imported. What I was meaning is the actual bulb. I.E. 1157, 1156, 168,194.
When I imported my UK lights I had a set of LED bulbs from my car I tried to install and they wouldnt fit the sockets.

Not sure. We have the red lights that come on with the first click of the headlight switch. Then theres a brake light. And a turn signal. On the Xtype I had a spot on tbe switch that turned on what was called a fog light. But the cougar doesnt have it. However we had a small marker light on the side which I dont believe you got.
Ok so to the important part. Motor stuff fits lol. And trans stuff. And the suspension should be the same if you look in the later models of cougar i.e. 01-02. Oh and dont feel bad if you own a 98 and cant find it. We didnt get a cougar that year. Just look in 99.

If you look at most personal imports US>UK (and Japan>UK), they've had an accessory-type rear foglamp fitted to comply with SVA (single-vehicle type-approval) required to register in UK and pass first MOT as they don't normally have manufacturer-fitted rear foglamps.

Last edited:
In case anyone is thinking of doing this (using US-spec lamps) you only have to have a dedicated foglight on the right-hand side of the car.

You could of course just fit UK/Euro-spec lights for the test, but to be honest I feel that's one of the things that we shouldn't be cheating on.

I've got US rear lamps complete with double-filament bulbs in the outer 'boob' for the rear lamps and rear fog lamps, as per Euro spec vehicles.

j'ai le faisceau arrière pour les feux rouge et orange en version Europe si ca intéresse quelqu'un.
Les prix ont augmenter de 20% sur ROCKAUTO, bizarre.
Je t'ai laisser un message andy

I have some Euro spec rear lamps with the red and orange segments if any one is interested.
Prices have increased by 20% on ROCKAUTO, bizarre.
I left you a message andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Noel, it pains me to say it but Steve did some really quite solid and clever mods to that car to give it a US look while still being UK-compliant for the MOT.

I don't know everything he did, but I'm confident in saying that you can't just slap a set of US-spec lights on your car and be entirely legal. He did stuff that made it legal while still keeping the US look.

Also, I hate coated bulbs. Pink brake lights and such.