End of an era for me

ggsumo

Well-known user
Feb 14, 2009
Luton Airport
as some of you may know i picked up my cougar 11 years ago for 1100 quid and she's been brilliant until the last 6 months or so where she hadnt felt quite stable under braking. The long and the short of it she failed her MOT terminally last week. Inner and outer sills have rotted leaving them paper thin with nothing to weld to and the amount of tinworm beyond any recourse.

She's done over 190K miles and amazingly was still on her original clutch largely due to the first 100k being motorway miles and garaged up to that point so not a bad innings.

Still a bit numb and dont think her loss will hit properly until the grab truck takes her. :cry::cry:

will put the good stuff up for sale in the next few weeks when i can get to refitting the originqal wheels and taking the bits off. Dont get too excited though as i wont be able to get anything from underneath as shes on soft ground and none of the body panels are really worth having as most got keyed, alty and aircon are knackered as are rear calipers.

You fought the good fight, Geoff. This can't have been an easy decision to make - and I'm so sorry - but so be it, and so may she go to the darkest, grippiest tarmac of car Valhalla. Especially after that 19 hour battle.

Nice one in the eBay listings, 1/4 of the miles on yours, maybe stronger underneath if she’s had a warm garage to live in.

Hi Geoff, sorry to hear your bad news. I trust you remember me from Tony's MFSM at Huntingdon ? I too now have two cars with rusty sills. One has a few months MOT left, but the other ran out last year.

You are probably aware that I have decided to pick up the gauntlet for getting some replacement sills. Unfortunately this is not going to plan and I have yet another delay this week, so I cannot offer you much consolation on that front yet I'm afraid.

I've tried to PM you, but it seems that your mailbox is full, so here goes :-

Forgive me for appearing to be a bit of a vulture, but I have had a close encounter with 'Bambii', where Bambii got away but my car didn't. So I would be very glad of some parts from the front end. In particular I'd be interested in the front bumper, especially a melina. Also perhaps some other stuff underneath, bonnet and wings even.

I wonder if I could be cheeky and get ahead of the game and ask for first refusal on the bumper at least ? That is causing me a delay in getting the other one back on the road.

Many thanks and I hope something else comes along for you soon ( and secretly I hope its another cougar ! ). Keep well - Noel

Noel the bumper is scraped and scuffed but it is solid. Both wings and bonnet were keyed years ago so unless you are going to fully strip and respray are no good. The car is on a thin layer of hardcore on my garden so I certainly would not recommend getting underneath.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the nice comments guys I will still it’s be around from time to time.

i will post the good bits for sale as I get them off probably next weekend. The smaller stuff I’ll ship but bigger stuff like leather interior buyer will need to remove. Leather is mint by the way.