Review: 5/5 Screwfix Oil Extractor

mmikey82

Well-known user
Jul 17, 2009
manchester
Today I called in Audi main dealers to see about an oil change , at £270 I wasn't happy but its a new car so I was going to bite the bullet . I got talking to a young lad who was outside having a smoke who worked there and he admired my car , I told him why I was there and even he said it was a rip off , He then told me how they change the oil - by putting an extractor pipe down the dipstick tube and sucking it out , change the filter and then refill the oil , he said it takes them about 15mins for the whole job.
The young lad then told me about this https://www.screwfix.com/p/oil-fluid-extractor-6ltr/21663 he said its £50 but once bought it soon pays for itself. So after thanking him I set off for screwfix and bought one.
1 Very easy to put together,
2 very easy to use (you have to warm oil up first)
3 very well marked so you know exactly how much oil you have taken out ( up to 6 ltrs )
4 very easy to empty old oil into container
5 a little bit pricey for what it is but the cheaper ones dont have as large capacity as this
6 very clean way of doing what can be a very dirty job
7 very quick, all done in less than 30mins .

I did google the pros and cons of changing oil this way and it seems this is the way most people do it now,
You dont have to take off under trays
you dont have to change sump plug
you can change your oil at more regular intervals
and if you change it more regular you dont have to worry about any sludge build up.
You can also run a magnet through your old oil if you think you have any problems
So all in all i am very happy with this oil extractor and will give it a 4.5 out of 5
The only reason i dont give it a 5 is because of the price

I was gonna borrow my mates one (He has a TT and does his own too) to do a friends boat engine, but didn't happen in the end, i like the idea of them tho

edit
Just had a thought......i have a vac pump for doing composites.......hmmm

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Chris has tried to use one of these on a Cougar and found he couldn't get the suction tube down into the sump for some reason?

Maybe some have a bend in the pipe i dont really know but it worked a treat for me.
Just washed it out with hot water and washing up liquid ready for next time (y)

Would the cure for oil starvation when cornering on the V6:- having baffles fitted in the sump to restrict oil movement, be relevant to why the tube can't reach for a full oil evacuation?

Somewhere, Mabo has kindly taken a number of photos of the bottom end of the dipstick, sump baffles and pan. Plus lots of measurements and posted them on here for me. I have downloaded and filed them and don't wish to duplicate his efforts, so will try and update this with a link shortly. Here is one :-

https://forums.ukcougar.club/threads/32176-St-200-cams?p=579671&viewfull=1#post579671

However, some time ago I acquired one of these from Lidl, it was £12.99 I believe. They still appear on the shelves from time to time. I think I posted about it somewhere, but can't find that either ( I was less careful where I posted in those days and trying to improve ).

To get to the last drops in the sump, I have used a length of copper brake pipe I straightened in the time honoured way in my vice ( brute force - pulling, slide hammer and then cutting the ends off ). I measured the output with a graduated jug and was happy that I'd got most of it.

Lidl Oil Pump cropped.jpg

Hi guys. I did indeed buy one of these (I think it was a Slivertec one) and I could not get it to work with any diameter of tube. It went the entire length of the dipstick tube, but wouldn't go any further and didn't pull up any oil.

On reflection, I wonder if it was because of where the crankshaft stopped?

I really don't know.

I mean, the dipstick is metal and can force itself down there, whereas the pipes are rubber and could get caught I suppose?

I'm going to try again (on Wildcat this time) and see what happens.

The suction pipe on mine is a much harder plastic than the output pipe, more like vacuum pipe so it doesn't collapse. That makes it easier to manoeuvre, but its bendy and tries to go its own way, i.e. stay curved as it has become from being packed in the box. I joined the brake pipe with a short piece of silicon pipe which I think came off my daughter's violin rest.

Are you sure yours is not just failing to prime over that distance ? Try feeding it a bit of clean oil to get it going...