RHDCougar

Graham Reeves

New user
Nov 10, 2019
wirral
Back in the 1980's a friend of mine owned a 1970's red Right Hand Drive Cougar. He believed it to be a factory conversion. I think it was originally white but he painted it red with a white stripe loke the car in the TV series Dukes of Hazard. Has anyone any knowledge of the car please

- - - Updated - - -

Graham still here. Now know the car was originally Blue and not white The reg number is BRC 850 H. My friend in Redditch sold the car to a guy in Nottingham. Thats all the info we have

In UK we can drive LHD cars; in Australia I think, or New Zealand/Japan, they must be RHD.
Could it have come from down under originally?

Could have originated from down under, although nowadays any vehicle imported left hand drive older than 30 years old can be driven without conversion. There should be a classic Cougar registry around somewhere.

I guess a classic American club might be a better starting point Graham, we're 99.9% about the 1999-on car here. Sounds really cool though - in the late 60s and early 70s you could get quite a lot of US cars over here in RHD I think. Have any pictures survived?

Just to back up Matt here, my dad imported a Pontiac GTO "Judge" into the UK back in the '70s. There has never been a problem with LHD vehicles in the UK aside from some insurance implications, (because otherwise some farm equipment - especially from John Deere - would be illegal and it's not).

I can tell you that the car Graham is asking about was imported to the UK in May 1970 and was originally orange/red. Possibly "Burnt Orange Metallic", though V5 records are known to be inaccurate.

It hasn't been taxed since March 1989.

It is with some regret that I would suggest that this car is either destroyed (though there's no record of that as the V5c still exists) or parked up in a barn somewhere.

Graham, I'm sorry that this gives you no closure, but she still might be out there somewhere, patiently waiting to go to her Forever Home.

Two-lane-blacktop-gto.jpg

(y)

Yep, that's the car though the colour there is totally wrong for a Judge.

I think I might've mentioned this here or in person before, but he shipped it over to the West London suburb of Eastcote in like 1971. He was probably being a smart-ass (just like I am for rebadging my Cougars as Mercurys) and thought he was being unique. Rolling around in a big-ass V8 when everyone else was in a fricking Viva or P6 whatever.

Well, the same damned week that car was registered here, he drove it down the high street and guess what came in the opposite direction?