Funny sound when driving - happens on many cougars

mdroc1

Club Member
Jul 7, 2019
Australia
Hi All,

I have a lovely 2001 Cougar. When I drive (often when I'm at low to regular speeds and take my foot of the accelerator for a few seconds), there is this low key sound. It lasts for anywhere between 2 to 6 seconds I suppose and is dull, low key wobbling sort of sound.

It does not impact the drive or steering or anything like that. It's just a noise. Sometimes putting my foot on the accelerator stops it from continuing. Once it stopped without me accelerating and there was a very slight 'nudge' feel when it stopped, but very subtle and does not happen.

The only thing that's strange is that I've come across three or four cougars going past that make the same noise. Unfortunately mine is intermittent so not easy for mechanics to diagnose and since it doesn't impact the drive, not sure what that is.

Very recently has the tires replaced and completely replaced front and rear suspension + alignment + full service. No change - sound still occurs with same frequency.

Since it seems to be something that comes up with Cougars, anyone here can throw some suggestions in the air as to what it might be? Can always verify suggestions, but would love to solve it as the noise seems to occur a bit more frequently in recent times than it used to.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to reply to my own thread but i stumbled across the issue and solution on youtube about 15 mins after posting the above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjhJXCrr0Mw

It's from about 23.30 onwards that the sound and issue is diagnosed. Maybe will help others.

Hi and welcome :)

The issue with the IVAC is a well known one around these parts.

Hope you stick around and show off a few pictures of your Cougar :)

Hello! Glad you managed to diagnose it yourself with a little research - although Dan says We All Know The Moose, sound-related problems are just the worst.

I haven't watched the whole video so I don't know what solutions they offered, but you can:

1) Clean/replace the existing IACV with carb/brake cleaner
2) Install a Ford anti-moosing kit (the problem is clearly common enough that they created one)
3) Replace the bellows-to-IACV piping with a length of pipe (B&Q sell one of the ecact diameter) that's an exact multiple of the existing pipe's length.

Good luck!

Credits:

Moose Trained by - Yutte Hermsgervordenbroti

Special Moose Effects - Olaf Prot

Moose Costumes - Siggi Churchill

Moose choreographed by - Horst Prot III

Miss Taylor's Mooses by - Hengst Douglas-Home

Moose trained to mix concrete and sign complicated insurance forms by - Jurgan Wigg

Mooses noses wiped by - Bjorn Irkestom-Slater

Antler care by - Liv Thatcher

Russian Vodka, so probably yes. Na Zdorovie!

(You do recognise those as the credits from Monty Python's Holy Grail, don't you?)

The joke had already exceeded the length of the advice, so I tried to keep it brief. That film is an absolute masterpiece though.

Now this is a thread that's def wandered off topic. Love it, good advice and humour.
Some monty P was excellent other parts, for me, when straight over.

I think it's a great example of someone helping themselves, the rest of us acknowleding it, and some low-brow comedy ensuing.

Respect to mrdoc1 for their independent invesigation and work though.

Thanks guys, great to see a lively cougar community.

I feel comfortable saying out loud here that I just spent about 40% of the value of the car in repairs in the past 4 weeks.

The first mechanic who looked at it overall kinda scoffed and suggested I buy a new car because... I would need to spend about 40% of the value of the car to polish it up. He didn't end up getting the job.

Unfortunately in Australia, the cougar doesn't hold its value very much and they are fairly rare. However, when I got the final list of repairs for a car that is nearly 20 years old, it was nothing more that wear and tear and age.

New bushes for suspension, new thermostat, new tyres, reverse brake switch, top up coolant, couple of minor bits, though the main issue was that I needed a new AC Compressor. My seat belt didn't retract properly and fully - this was fixed with a clean using leather cleaner ($5).

Since all works were done, it has been driving like a dream. Almost full new car feel on the road and the old cougar cannot be beaten. I never want to part with this highly reliable car that drives like a dream, cheap to fix and hugs the road on the open highway like a great Mercedes of the 1990s.

Thanks guys, looking forward to becoming involved in the forum.

You're very welcome here! And I just noticed that this thread is actually your first ever post - that's a nice start.