What do you get to the gallon?

500bhp

Forum user
Feb 20, 2019
uk
Hi Guys on my 1999 Cougar 2.5 V6, Auto, with Over Drive on in Eco mode, and driving like I am trying not to spill a glass of water I get an average of 23 MPG, 80% Urban and 20% dual carriage way. Is this about right? what do you get?

If you're driving a V6 Auto? I have to say that your MPG is the last thing you should be worrying about. That's a mid-90s crappy-yet-solid 4-speed gearbox coupled to a monster of a V6 engine with some really hinky emissions kit.

Your car is never going to be efficient by modern standards, so if you're going to keep it you'll just need to budget for fuel, (which is better than buying a new car as it happens). What sort of driving do you do?

I drive 16 miles per day and get the same as Dan - probably 18MPG in both of mine over that distance. But if I do long range, I get closer to 36MPG in Tiger and 37.5MPG in Wildcat. I hope that answers your question.

My 2000 V6 auto in eco and with OD on did 28ish under quite 'spirited' conditions when I went to Gaydon and back last Sunday using the Fosse Way.

2001 V6 Auto overdrive eco, just a little better at about 25mpg (according to the trip computer, I do have fuelling records that I intend to compare against that), a mix of 50% country lanes/main roads, and 50% standing traffic/50yard traffic light dash.
That's a regular 6.5 mile each way commute, plus none to several 20 mile each way family commitments at weekends (so 40 miles straight off).
Having the Torque app set up with dials including instant MPG, lets you see under what conditions it's achieving what.

I don't really care what MPG I'm getting. Which is a good thing [emoji38]

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I have the V6 manual and get 27mpg 'average'. That's a long term average taken from my trip computer. I also push my cars as far as I dare without losing my licence, so very varied driving, sometimes hard, red line acceleration, up to unmentionable numbers on the dash. I gained this habit after owning a moped that only did 28mph when all my mates could do 35 and never really got over it.

My trips consist of 8 miles to the town several times a week and back. A couple of trips to Norwich or Lowestoft circa 20 miles and back. And lots of smaller trips to local shops or whatever.

Call me what you like, but I do believe that the IMRC permits better economy at lower revs as Ford intended it to be and spent a huge amount of money perfecting it...

They would have been better off throwing all that money spent on the IMRC in a fire made out of the sponges they put in the sills then throwing the IMRC prototype on top of it :LOL:

Did I say I expect it to act like a modern car?

Apologies. Reading it back, my post sounds needlessly aggressive and that absolutely wasn't my intention, (it sounded different in my head). I hope I didn't cause offence.

What I meant was that the crappy mileage just goes with the territory. I accept that my cars are old, cheap to buy and work on, so somewhere along the line I'm going to be making a financial sacrifice. Turns out that's in fuel. And as it turns out, yours really isn't spectacularly high usage based on some of the other comments.

Thats totally fine :) I have a "Normal" car as well, the Cougar was left to me when my Dad passed, it was his pride and joy :)
IMG_20190223_181644.jpg
IMG_20190301_081511.jpg

V6 auto 140,000 miles on the clock 24 mpg mixture of urban A roads short trips to work 1 mile and a dozen sub 20 mile trips to local city's, Gloucester , Hereford, Worcester, 36 mpg on long motor way trips, did see 39 mpg once but that was before I got the air con recharged and on all year round, suspect driving style has more to do with getting good mpg than what transmission type you have, red line a manual all through the gears all the time and over take everything on the road blipping the throttle on the down change and you will get rubbish mpg.