FREE HPi CHECK

Franspeed

Well-known user
Feb 23, 2014
Nottinghamshire
I have just tried this out myself and it worked ok for me, I put in a reg of a cat N car, and it came up as cat N, then put in a reg of another vehicle I know to be HPi clear, and it came up clear (ie, NO MARKER FOR CAT N OR CAT S)

You need to go onto the Auto trader web site and click on sell my car, it will then ask you to put the reg. no. and mileage of the vehicle in the box's, then click on create your ad.

It then goes to another screen where it says find details, where it tells you the make, model, engine size, etc,etc.

Now click on next step, at the bottom of the page, this takes you to a page where they give you a price guide to put your car, this is as far as you go, on the right side of the page is a section which tells you about your car, and if it says nothing about cat N or cat S, the car is HPi clear.

And there you have it.... A FREE HPi check....(y)

I'm tempted to try this with a car that I know full-well to have been destroyed (W215YCE for example) and see what it does.

For reference, the .gov MOT History website just says that the car doesn't exist.

It comes up with a message unable to place an ad, please contact head office, and the details section for the car is completely blank Chris, so looks like they have no record of the vehicle.

ps. Hope you didn't mind me trying it for you?

I assume that they use the same database that the insurers use, so I'm really not surprised!

And I absolutely don't mind you testing it on my old car! If I was precious about it I wouldn't have posted the reg - and it'd be silly of me to even care about a car that's a Chinese bridge now LOL! Thank you for saving me the trouble of trying it myself. (y)

I just tried it with R43 CDM which is a cat D car which has been off the road since 2015 but not destoryed , it said to contact the security team

It still shows up on the gov website

Dan, I think the fact that the car hasn't been crushed (and is therefore SORN) is the point. For example, Mako still returns a result.