Steering wheel leather?

I'm certain they're leather Alan, plastic steering wheels don't last long at all before they start to look horrible. Also, compare the feel of the wheel to the vinyl on the backs of your front seats and you'll see they're very different.

Have you got new leather to recover it?

If you need a recommendation for a trimmer, I can highly recommend Lee Pattison down in Kent. His work is simply beautiful.

Some before and after pics of a steering wheel he did for me some years ago.

Attachments

• 06 steering wheel recover.jpg
    06 steering wheel recover.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7246.jpg
    IMG_7246.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for the replies. I think i've given the impression i'm re-covering the wheel? Not the case, no i'm simply re-conditioning it. The "leather has very minor scuffs to the airated section and i'm blending that in to the good stuff. I've cleaned all the crapp off and recoloured it and applied the finishing top coats but when i applied polish a couple of days later the "blacking" is coming away on the cloth. The finishing coats are a satin finish laquer . Last night i cleaned it all back to the "leather" wich leaves the wheel with the look of a new whell but the finish is unprotected. Should i now just polish it with leather conditioner ie : Gliptons?

That's...that's a DeLorean steering wheel, right?

Anyway, the Cougar steering wheel is bonded leather. Basically leather off-cuts finely chopped up, glued to an artifical backing, then textured or embossed. Think if it like MDF. Although that means that it isn't a true leather, (as Paul says), the fascia is an animal product and should be treated the same way that you would deal with full or top grain.

I just clean mine up with baby wipes from time to time, but I can't really fault the approach you're intending.

I'd gently glass back the shiny bits with 3000-grit (assuming they don't go dull when rubbed down with lanolin) and then lacquer it.

Just my 2c there.

That's...that's a DeLorean steering wheel, right?
It certainly is, it belongs to a car I restored a number of years ago.

Re leather cleaning, I've always had good success with AutoGlym products, specifically AutoGlym Leather Cleaner, and AutoGlym Leather Balm.
For heavily soiled leather, use the leather cleaner in conjunction with a "magic eraser sponge" and then dry off with a microfibre towel, works pretty well as per the half of the seat which was cleaned in this method in the attached pic.
Follow that up with liberal application of leather balm via a microfibre towel, allow to soak in for a few minutes and then buff off with a fresh/dry microfibre towel.

For the dash/plastics/vinyl I use Armor All Protectant Semi-Matt.

Attachments

• seat1.jpg
    seat1.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 2