cheap ODBC2 scanner that supports ABS/Airbag etc.

Sebastian

Well-known user
Sep 6, 2005
North Yorkshire
So the ABS light has come on my Cougar, so Anyone got any recommendations for a cheap ODBC2 scanner that will read/clear the ABS/Airbag/etc?

Theres lot of cheap and nasty ones on ebay that will just do the engine module, but I was hoping for something cheap that will also do the other modules.

That is the best software, but OP needs the hardware too - an ELM 327 scanner that you can get quite cheaply from Amazon.

Aside frm that, I think your diagnosis is right. New rings needed.

Thanks,

Got any recommendations for what hardware to buy, there seems to be far too much choice on ebay.

Cracked front ABS rings are easy to replace? ;)

They are heatshrunk onto the outer CV joint, so easiest and cheapest to replace driveshaft. Worked for me - nobody likes a cracked ring!

I looked back over my purchace history, but it seems I've had mine so long that I don't have the original link, sorry! Just use a well-regarded vendor and don't worry if they're based in China.

There's two types of the front rings as far as I know, (castellated or gap ring). Both of them can be sweated on to the hub with a hobbyist blowtorch. Just smash the old ones off, heat the new ones up, and drift them on. You might need to apply continuous heat to get them in position though.

Ok, this might be a stupid question, any idea where my ODBC2 port is? searching the internet I cant seem to find where it should be.

I've got a Cougar2 if that makes any difference.

Drivers side of the car, under the dash on the right hand side near the door , stick your head towards the pedals from outside the car and you'll see it

The socket it fits in is also a perfect fit for a lot of the Bluetooth dongles making it a right pain to remove. Just so you know :)

Airbag has warning codes flashed on the instrument cluster,

The flash codes are as follows.
1 flash drivers air bag circuit low, high or open.
2 flashes, passenger air bag circuit low, high or open.
3 flashes, drivers or passenger air bag circuit short to earth or battery.
4 flashes, seat belt electric pretensioner fault
5 flashes, drivers side air bag circuit fault.
6 flashes, passenger side air bag circuit fault
7 flashes, drivers side crash sensor circuit fault.
8 flashes, passenger side crash sensor circuit fault.

I finally found it, even if it did involve hanging upside down with a torch.

I could not get the dongle to work with my Mac, mucked about with a Virtual machine for too long, eventually tracked down a cheap Dell laptop I could install Windows 10 on, and after all that

Code: C1222 - Speed Wheel Mismatch
Module: Antilock braking system

Diagnostic Trouble Code details

Speed Wheel Mismatch

Code: C1234 - Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor Input Signal Missing
Module: Antilock braking system

Diagnostic Trouble Code details

Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor Input Signal Missing

Short circuit

This DTC may be caused by :

Sensor

Sensor Previously disconnected.

Damaged or contaminated connector

--- Possible Causes --------
This DTC can be generated by:

-Missing RF Wheel Speed Sensor
- Dislocated or misaligned RF Wheel Speed Sensor
- Missing RF Wheel Speed Ring.

The code is set normally when the speed from one sensor differs from the speed on the other three sensors. The vehicle speed must exceed 20 kph (13 mph) for this code to be set.

So at least I know what side the problem is :)

I've found those 'reluctor rings' can attract a lot of metal debris and a small 'bottle brush' style wire brush in a drill, held tangential to the teeth ( not your own ) is very effective at cleaning it away and to look for cracks...

So then, starting from the easiest things and working down...

1) I know this is silly, but check your tyre sizes. I'm sure nobody has been stupid enough to fit odd ones, but you'd be kicking yourself if you found out it was that all along...

2) Unplug the ABS/TC sensor, (it's a white 2-pin, press to release, and may be hidden behind your wheelarch liner) clean up the contacts and reassemble.

3) Inspect the sensor face itself and remove any brake dust or swarf (the sensor is a magnetic reed switch, so brake residue will stick to it). Note that you are extremely unlikely to remove the sensor intact, so have a spare handy if you do have to remove it. Be sure to throughly clean and glass the aperature it sits in.

4) Slowly rotate the hub and check for cracks in the ABS/TC reluctor ring. It literally takes a gap of less than .5mm to upset the system. Replace if necessary. As a guideline, we got a trusted garage to do both of Jinxy's - because I couldn't be bothered to buy a blowtorch at the time - and fitting was around £50.

5) Now use Forscan to reset all the errors and go for a 5-mile drive with plenty of braking and turns. Check for codes again.

Lastly, I know we're not supposed to post technical procedures in general access areas, but this particular one is true of any car built in the last 30 years, so I am putting this here out of goodwill. I sincerely hope the mods agree but won't be offended if they don't.

Cheers!

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the advice! I was just looking for a recommendation for an ODBC2 scanner, but more than grateful for mechanical talk. I don't want to upset the mods ether :)

I think I'll give it once over as suggested, see if that makes any difference, I'm some what lacking in terms of tools and blow torches too, I'll have to see what my local garage have to say.