Review: 5/5 Y-CAM Endoscope / Borescope

Foobar

Club Member
Jul 30, 2017
Great Yarmouth, NORFOLK
Hardly a week goes by when I could not use such a tool to save time and effort. I can imagine wanting to see inside my sills and behind the engine and dash, plus maybe fire and boiler flues in the house, back of the TV and HiFi definitely and so on.

First of all what's the difference between an Endoscope and a Borescope ? Not much it seems, but a borescope can be rigid and a larger diameter probe, also not necessarily using a fibre optic. Endoscopes seem to be more towards medical, bodily internal and small diameter fibre optic.

I spent some time researching and the variants I came across were; self contained, e.g. display attached, USB connected, WiFi connected, optical with an eyepiece attached. Probe lengths vary between 1m, 2m, 5m and 10m, but we have to consider how often this will be needed and how well the tip can be controlled at those greater distances, bearing in mind the usually short focal lengths of 1cm to 10cm. Most units are intended to be water resistant at least, with many quoting the IP scale and plenty with a maximum IP68 rating for under water use. Most seem to come with the same accessories too, magnets, a hook, a waterproof lens, sometimes a carry case and a telescopic holder to insert the probe with ( ouch ! )

DIY class units are now down to around £15 - £25 for a unit without display. There were many claiming HD, but beware 720i is classed as HD ! 1600 x 1200 was a common native resolution.

I eventually found a WiFi connected unit, so I could use iPhone or iPad as the display with a 5 Metre fibre optic and full 1920 x 1080p colour resolution for £13.50 and ordered it :-

s-l1600.jpg

This seems to have all the standard accessories, plus some advantages over competitive units. The idea of keeping display and probe separate also appealed to me. Doesn't grease and oil just get into every darned thing ?!

Here is their spec. :-

Specifications:

2 million pixel sensor,HD1080P
Three adjustable resolutions(The working hours are related to the resolution you choose to use): 1920 * 1080(1.5h), 1280 * 720(2.5h), 640 * 480(4h)
Waterproof rating: IP65/IP68(Screw on the waterproof cover to get a updated IP68 Waterproof level)
Compatibility: Support Android 4.2+ and IOS 8.0+ Smart Phone, ipad, PC, it can also suppot 3-4 smartphones viewing at the same time.
Focal length: 3-8cm
Comes with 8led lights
1000mAh battery with 4 hours use time
Y-CAM APP has user name, password change, image rotation function
OD = 5.0MM wire for stronger wire hardness and more fluid image
Reset function: when there is a problem, you can automatically rule out the problem

When using a unit without a built in display, it is likely that there will be some sort of software involved. True, it could just be a camera, but a lot of functionality could be lost that way. Clearly with an iPhone / iPad or Android there is likely to be an APP to download. I suggest looking at these before deciding as some are rubbish, whilst others may be simple looking but actually quite effective.

IMG_3619.PNG

Above is Y-CAM's APP and the controls are all you need to have to deal with when you are already having to control the end of the probe. With the controls on the WiFi module at the end of the fibre optic and presumably containing the camera, there is On/Off, illuminating LED brightness and a camera button to take photos, plus a battery status indicator and micro USB charging port.

IMG_3546.jpg

This unit works by broadcasting a separate WiFi signal that you select on your iPhone / iPad. Then you just start the Y-Cam App - et voilà !

Here's a rather bad example photo :-

IMG_3554.JPG

In conclusion I must say that I am pleased with the unit so far. I have used it in anger to figure out where the Optical Fibre Connector was on the back of a 55" TV, with great success, but I didn't think to take a photo !

I bought the unit from eBay and here are the keywords from the description but it is also a link, but the link may expire :-

1200P 5M WIFI Endoscope IP68 Inspection Camera For Android iPhone PC + Carry Bag

Build quality seems good and the parts and accessories seem to fit together well, I will give it a 5 out of 5.

As for ease of use, I think this is as easy as its going to get until I get used to it, so 5 out of 5 again.

Value for money ? At this price of £13.50 its Outstanding ! 5 out of 5

Overall rating as above at 5 out of 5

Well thanks for that, I've gone and ordered one now; I can't resist a gadget :geek:.

I bought a usb thing that connected directly to your phone but i never really got it working, hopefully I'll have more joy with this. (y)

Any problems, just PM me. Btw, I took it along to one of my customers, they have both Honda and Suzuki motorcycle franchises and they were most impressed. Unlike a car with lots of nooks and crannies, I wasn't sure a motorcycle would justify the effort. Their head mech was talking about looking down the bores...

Lidl have some in stock, not sure if they're any good though...

Sent from my LG-M250 using Tapatalk

LIDL's endoscopes looked ok, but are of the fixed screen variety, £49.99 if I remember correctly a couple of weeks back. I was trying to get some of their £4.99 / 10m of air hose, but my local store didn't get an allocation of that. However, I also passed on the £24.99 automatic welding mask, ( telling myself I must dig all the gear out of the shed and be prepared to use it in anger ), but I did succumb to the £12.99 'Oil Pump'. I was looking to do a review of that if I ever get around to using it - lol. Last but not least is their 'Intelligent Battery Charger' at £12.99 but it was only 5A max. I already have some much larger units. This weeks offers are pants - literally...