Mot Fail.

Franspeed

Well-known user
Feb 23, 2014
Nottinghamshire
My cougar has recently failed the mot on a couple of bits of welding (which I knew about, and can repair) but this time it has also failed on : exhaust lamba reading after 2nd fast idle, the car had been stood for approx 2 months, and has never had this fail on an mot previously, could it be that due to it standing for so long this may have caused the problem? If so what would be the recommended solution, any tips appreciated..

I'm no expert, but I'll throw in 'old petrol' (settled in tank), and 'use an engine treatment eg.Redex' as means to a pass.

Forte for the win. Also condider cleaning out the breathers, throttle body and the IACV.

Check for Lambda codes via OBD as well as course.

Ok then, seems like Forte is the go to product...do I need to add it to a full tank or just put, say, £20 of petrol in..?
Also any links to the stuff that you guys have purchased, seen a few, all seem to be at different prices...Thanks for all the input..(y)

Among other things, it's basically kerosene, detergents and something that binds to carbon. I agree with Dan that following the instructions is the right thing to do, but with Jinxy we added half a bottle to a quarter tank of fuel and it did the trick.

Bear in mind that was a Rover K-Series though. When I did Tiger's Duratec V6 - not that it needed it at the time - I added a full bottle to 3/4 of a tank of fuel.

I agree with you Paul, unless his journey to a booked session at the testing centre takes him up the dual carriageway and he can hold her in 3rd.

Please don't drive cars with no MOT on the road. You have other other options and friends who will help you.

Remember as you have failed MOT car is not road legal...
...unless his journey to a booked session at the testing centre takes him up the dual carriageway...Please don't drive cars with no MOT on the road.
I'm assuming you've posted that because the previous MOT has expired (probable, with two months standing) but surely it isn't illegal to drive a car that's failed an MOT for non-major faults, that has time to run on the old MOT ? Especially as the purposes of such trips is to effect the necessary repairs.

Id think in that case Norman it would be insurance that may be the issue.

Most policies dont state it has to have a valid MOT rather that it must be in a roadworthy condition, im sure if the worst happened the insurance company would try to argue the toss that by failing an MOT even if the previous one was still valid that would defualt into it not being in a roadworthy condition

As far as I know its no longer legal to run down the mot once the car has failed. Once it's failed the test, it can only be driven home, or driven to have work done and a retest, I'm not sure test driving other than to a booked retest is allowed.

As far as I know its no longer legal to run down the mot once the car has failed. Once it's failed the test, it can only be driven home, or driven to have work done and a retest, I'm not sure test driving other than to a booked retest is allowed.
That's also my understanding; it doesn't matter if your old MOT still has time to run. If you failed, you no longer have valid MOT.

I am aware of the situation regarding the mot failure procedure, I am doing the welding myself, I will put the petrol treatment in the car and book it in for the re test and give it a good blast on the way to the test centre as there is a nice long road on the way, thanks for all your input...(y)