Practical classics magazine

Over the years I've been lucky enough to own a few classics including:
E type Jaguar and Jaguar Mk 2 3.8 Sunbeam Tiger 4.2V8 Rover 3500S V8 Daimler SuperV8 BMW 540i Toyota MR2 Turbo Honda CRX Delsol
Ford Sierra 1.6 Jaguar 3.0V6 Stype dAI
Of course, all very different and special in their own way...
And I can honestly say I like driving my Cougar as much as any of them....View attachment 12252pic speaks for itself
Impressive list.

My reasons for buying a Cougar were I loved the design and that it was a bit different and not very common, on my test drive I took it easy like you do, but having got used to it I totally loved driving it and I also loved the 'what car is that' when you roll up somewhere in it. I always glanced back to look at it when I parked.
I think Dakota's opinion is right; if the Probe, which didn't do very well, is now a classic; then so should the Cougar be . . whether that will happen I don't know. Another 5 - 10 years maybe ?

Thought I'd buy a copy of Modern Classics magazine, they had an article on cars that could become classic, they did say they couldn't fit all the cars they wanted to on the list but still, no Cougar.
I have owned 2 Capris (loved them both) and a Probe (which I also found fun to drive). The issue I had with the Probe is the inability to drop the rear seats, a bonus for the Cougar.
I do think it's a shame that it is not appreciated more but who's to say it won't be in 5 or 10 years time.
I like the fact that the members here own their cars because they like them rather than as an investment.
If I had the space and money I would buy every cheap one I could find and store the spares, it could become a gold mine in the future and also help keep the cars on the road in the future.
[emoji3]

Sent from my LG-M250 using Tapatalk

Sunbeam Tiger was an awesome car to drive, and I was lucky to own one... couldn't afford one now!
Brakes were less than adequate, the Ford 4.2 V8 was an amazing engine, and I had many great drives in the Tiger....
See pic of Tiger, yours truly complete with 70's tash, and dog in a Tiger!
cheers,
WilIMG_20190201_0001.jpg

The early cougar is a classic for sure all the rest that followed in the 70s, 80, were blotted under powered and badly put together, the front drive cougar was a breath of fresh air compared to those model's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the old cougar. The 68 is definitely a classic. Not by age alone. It was amazing. However I dont think I would ever buy one. My problem with them is this
dce3f9c21a05ebe65b86b8c84203b609.jpg

Looks to much like this.
ad342bcc4c7af5150445daaf90970f6b.jpg

And Id prefer this.
678491cd2fd88b93480cd8d5108a7701.jpg

Sunbeam Tiger was an awesome car to drive, and I was lucky to own one... couldn't afford one now!
Brakes were less than adequate, the Ford 4.2 V8 was an amazing engine, and I had many great drives in the Tiger....
See pic of Tiger, yours truly complete with 70's tash, and dog in a Tiger!
cheers,

WilView attachment 12255

Hi Wil, nice tash.
A mate had a tiger although I only saw it once in his garage, He was closing up the hole on the bonnet where a cut out for massive air filter that had been onto the top of the engine. As you did back in the day of the tash.
However I seem to recall he told me the rear 2 plugs had to be changed via panels in the bulkhead under the dash. True of False ?