New cougar owner needs help!

Damian

Club Member
Jan 20, 2019
Devon
Hi all, I wanted to know if there is a retractable cup holder available for a uk spec cougar? If so is there one for sale anywhere please? Aslo the boot release does not work. Any ideas....? Cheers

Hello Damian and welcome to the forum. (y)
Your most likely source for an OEM retractable cup holder would be US Ebay and then it would need some fettling to allow it to fit in a RHD centre console.
Boot release is probably a dodgy or sticking solenoid behind the trim panel at the back of the boot.

Thanks mate, I'll check out both of those. I got to say I wasn't expecting a reply that quickly so thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for that. Is that the standard ford one i've seen in pictures or a "universal" style one? I will try you boot fix aswell mate. Cheers

Can't be of any further help than what Andy said, but Hi & welcome anyhow (y)

The Ford one raises vertically from a slot where the pen holder is alongside the handbrake.
If you can find a Mk1 Mondeo centre console with the removeable pen holder section it makes the fitting of the cup holder a bit more straightforward.

Cheers Pal. As I only got the car last thursday and had a 10hr round trip drive to get it i'm only just getting in to finding out about any small modern "mods" that can be added. I mean where do you put a phone holder (apart from a suction cup)! Any ideas from anybody would be grand. I have wanted one for years and i can hardly believe my luck. Cheers

You're in the right place for any number of mods. (y)
Have a good look around in the photo section and please put some photos of yours up.
Did you get a V6 or a Zetec and what colour is it?

I've got one of the ball-type magnetic mounts stuck to the dash below the two centre vents.

I especially wanted the 2.0L. This one is in near perfect condition and had only one owner for nearly 18yrs. Its in black. It sounds ridiculous but I have wanted one since i saw Clarkson review it on "old" top gear in 1998 when there was a lot of choice in the coupe market, but now as the world has seemingly turned to so so similar suv's a cougar stands out even more. so i stared looking mid last year. And it was worth the wait!

Cheers

welcome to our little slice of crazy on the internet.
the Boot could be what Andy said but if you hear a click in the back like it released when you push the button it could be the struts just worn out so far the boot lid doesnt lift up when you hit the button.
check your fuses too.

the pop up cup holder thing I think you guys got a nice little pen holder or something on your console. I'm not sure the LHD console parts from the US are compatible on that part. Honestly Mate I wouldn't wish that thing they call a cup holder they gave us in the US on anyone. that things been rightfully renamed a cupspiller. and half the people here have swapped it out for a C2 console which had an actual cup holder in it here.
If you ever swap to a single DIN head unit in the dash I've seen cubbys that mount under the headunit in the dash that has 2 trays in it, 1 tray being 2 cupholders when you pull the tray out as well as a second tray that is basically a drawer which could work to hold your phone if you don't need to see it while you drive.

Thanks Rooster, i was thinking it looked like a LHD thing only so thanks for the info. A moulded cup holder would be fine, it's just that and a few other tiny modern bits that would really top it off.

Cheers

Hi Damian and welcome to UKCc. Have a good look around the forum, all you need to know is in here somewhere. As for the boot release, as mentioned it may well be the solenoid is seized or/and the struts have no bounce in them. The solenoid can stick so that the latch doesn't kick out. Pull the plastic panel out of the boot slam panel and get some wd40~ sprayed in there to rinse it out.

My phone holder, not sure of the technical term but it's kind of like pipe cleaners where you bend it to fit around both your phone and air vents. It's a bit wobbly but it does the job!

Hi Damian and welcome aboard :)
About the boot release, if you get a clunk sound when you press the interior boot release button, then I think the solenoid is working. But maybe the cable end has come off the mechanism. Pull open the boot lining behind the key release and you can see the release mechanism and if that's the problem it's possible to pull the cable back onto the holder. This is what happened to mine. I put the cable back on, never had another issue with it.
For the cupholder, maybe a 3D printer could help !!

How on earth did you shift into 1st with that extended, Andy? Or is that the short-throw shifter?

::EDIT:: Also, be aware that if you have the fixed pen holder, (unlike the removable one in the Wiki) you will need to Dremel it out... only to find that there is no structure underneath it to bolt the cup holder to. You will need to fabricate a bracket. This is why I still haven't got around to fitting mine. :oops: