Cougar to new home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevor Bellward

New user
Dec 31, 2018
Norwich
After some time with my cougar automatic (2000) being off the road and financially unable to put her back on the road, I wonder if anyone has any suggestions on what is the best solution, other than sending her to the scap heap? I kept saying next month I’ll have some spare cash, but the months have turned to years and it hurts to see it wasted.
Initially it was the fuel pump, but over the 5 years plus now other problems have occurred, tyres, brakes/ disc and engine not being turned over! still the body looks in good condition and maybe of some interest to someone?
I would like to see it back on the road as this car has had good memories to me. Possible of interest to someone in the club who could make use of it?
regard Trevor

Hello Trevor and welcome to the forum.
We have strict rules covering the sale of cars, parts etc on the forum and unless you are hoping for someone to take your Cougar off your hands as a favour, so to speak, I'm afraid your post will have to be removed.

Hi Trevor. Your biggest issue will be the possibility of lurking underbody rust. Have a really good poke underneath the sills, especially at the wheelarch ends. Holes here can be £300-ish a corner to have professionally repaired. You've only got to look at my car ('Project Zetec') to see what can be brought back from the brink by a club member (not me, I hasten to add) with the proper skills, but this is the one area where you really have to be honest with yourself. Otherwise mechanical parts are all available, it's the matter of whether you want/can spend the money. We do have some knowledgeable members in the East Anglia area, so hopefully you can get some more informed answers. Do you have any pictures?

After some time with my cougar automatic (2000) being off the road and financially unable to put her back on the road, I wonder if anyone has any suggestions on what is the best solution, other than sending her to the scap heap? I kept saying next month I’ll have some spare cash, but the months have turned to years and it hurts to see it wasted.
Initially it was the fuel pump, but over the 5 years plus now other problems have occurred, tyres, brakes/ disc and engine not being turned over! still the body looks in good condition and maybe of some interest to someone?
I would like to see it back on the road as this car has had good memories to me. Possible of interest to someone in the club who could make use of it?
regard Trevor

Hi Trevor, I'm Noel and I live in Hemsby, just north of Great Yarmouth, very close to you. I have a Melina Blue V6 X-pack which seems mechanically sound, but needs bodywork / respray / tinkering. I have been on the lookout for another car for spares / repair. I just missed one in GY that ended up on banger circuit last week, not a nice end for such an elegant vehicle.

However, my wife likes 'larger' engined cars and has previously driven all of mine and owned her own Rover 600 turbo from new. Having been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis a few years back, she now finds gearboxes an unecessary evil and currently has a Vectra automatic, which is nippy if a little dull and getting high in mileage. So a cougar automatic could be a good project for us. I will PM over my details in case this thread disappears shortly. Hopefully we can have a chat and / or meet up to discuss further ? - 07775 593489

Status
Not open for further replies.