Twin exhaust for mk2 2.5 auto.

Wyatt

Forum user
Nov 1, 2016
Farnham, Surrey
Always fancied a twin exhaust but purely for cosmetics. I'm an ol'timer so I certainly don't want a 'boy racer'
set-up. I wondered if anybody had their exhaust upgraded or changed, cost's or any other problems to look
out for. Did take it to company out Slough/Bucks way, about couple years ago but they wanted about £1000, think they were called Magnatec (or somethin' similar!) so i never followed it up.

I live out Farnham Surrey way so if any of you boys have any suggestions I'd sure be grateful.

Thanks, Mike

Hello Mike and welcome to the forum. (y)

If you're not looking for a complete system you could go down the route I chose for my last Cougar and look at something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXHAUST-...001697?hash=item1a4db733e1:g:NgEAAOSw-K9ZLT77

All the necessary clamps were included and fitting was very straightforward. (y)

IMG_0714.JPG

No matter which way you go about it you will almost certainly need to remove the bracket(3 bolts) holding the rear towing eye socket and 'adjust' (hammer) the rear left tie-down eye to some extent. ;)

Last edited:
My only direct experience (as in, ownership and living with it long-term) with a twin on a Cougar is the Blue Flame, which my current one has. Totally neighbour-friendly, tractable at low-to-mid RPM, and a tremendous roar over 4.5K RPM.

Trouble is that they're almost impossible to find now. But if you find one, buy it.

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. I ahve nothing to add that's not been said, just wanted to pop up and say hi. :)

Hi,
Welcome to the Forum, given you don't want a 'boy racer' style I have nothing constructive to add:LOL::devilish:

But if you want a cost effective one, Andy's link is perfect as you will retain most of the silencers/Cats - if not any decent exhaust fabricators can make a cat back for around £500ish

Have a cat back twin system with four outlet tips from MIJ exhausts in Walsall , it's a midsport spec, low burbble at lower rpm nice throaty roar further up the rev range, it was less than £500 at the time so not bad for a bespoke stainless steel system.

Thanks to all that offered suggestions to my post (twin exhausts) way back in Sept. 2018. I did check a couple out but I did'nt follow
anything up cos' of another problem which came up arond that time but now sorted. Thanks again boys.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for that Adam and I'm sorry I never got back sooner. Two years ago I think but I had a more serious problem came up so I abandoned the 'quest'. All ok now but I never resumed the 'twin exhaust' possibility. I've just replied generally to others who came up with suggestions and very grateful to all. It's not completely forgotten but I now have 'chassis' rot so it goes in next week to be fixed!
Regarding what you mentioned at the time about the 'DIY' exhaust, I had seen that but when it was in the garage for somethin' else and on the ramp I remember thinkin' that it did'nt look like there was enough space for both boxes so I never followed it up. Mine is the MK2 and maybe the exhaust layout is different, I don't know but again thanks to all.

I have a C2 facelift model ( Mk2 as you call it ) and I have a twin exhaust with four tips. Fabricated and fitted by MIJ in Walsall. Complete Cat back system for 300 quid.

Just rejoined this club although have been dipping in and out reading over the years (too many!).

If this helps had SS twin exhaust with oval tails made and fitted by Blue Flame Exhausts, Leyland. Please note Leyland. I see there are others now of the same name, not about when mine were done and don’t know of the connection.

At the time, circa 2002, Blue Flame were a reputable and well established motor bike exhaust and brake mftr. They had then’recently’ started car exhausts and my Cougar was the first they had done plus with the unusual oval tails, specially made, and were going to use and photograph for publicity. However as I recall one of their employees had a relation, uncle, lived locally who had his Cat done afterwards and Blue Flame used his car.

I spent ages researching this Company before booking in and stayed overnight. At that time they were excellent, also had a spare pair of tails supplied just in case! Never used and the chrome on the originals unmarked and good as new.

Interesting discussion, especially your description Mach1 ( sorry I don't know your name ). Please see below for the system I am planning to have fitted to mine soon. Maybe even later this week. Also, a question for someone - I have three poly exhaust mounts, in 'mandarin orange' even, these were to upgrade the ones on my V6's stock exhaust, but does a twin system like this need more of them. If so I need to order up before trying to get it fitted. TIA :-

IMG_6410.jpg

IMG_7485.jpg

IMG_8657.jpg

Noel, I think I can see 4 hangers on the pipes you have; 1 on the section with the front box, 1 on the section where the pipes split and 1 on each of the back boxes.

Thanks Andy, I'd better look up what I got before and order a couple more. ( Having a spare reduces the chance of failure in the others in service by a ridiculous amount - lol )

Hmmm, would you believe they come in sets of 3 for £10.49 - Ford Mondeo MK3 Exhaust Hangers × 1 + P&P @ £4.95

Oh well, two spares = even greater reliability !

exhaust-mount.jpg

See what I mean about mandarin oranges...