Ford Cougar Manuals - UK Supplement ?

Foobar

Club Member
Jul 30, 2017
Great Yarmouth, NORFOLK
Having bought a set of genuine Ford Cougar manuals from the US, I realise they do not cover the UK / Europe / RHD variants in most cases. Especially when it comes to the wiring, there can be huge differences from the manual to the UK vehicle. A typical example is the headlight switch which does not have the same positions / wiring as a UK model. Is there therefore, some sort of aditional document that fills that gap and shows the UK variances ?

Workshop Manuals 1999.jpg

Any advice would be gratefully received...

The only official ones I've seen (and I own a copy of) are the USA-centric ones.

I've often wondered about this since as you say, there are some very significant differences in the lights, fuseboxes, HVAC, and the brake linkages*.

Perhaps there is a Ford UK manual that says, "Whatever car you're working on from X-era, here are the diffences from the various manuals we've supplied you".

* (On RHD ones there is a zarking great big bar and cams that traverse the car because the pedals and master cylinder are on opposite sides. There's probably extra reinforcement to the nearside firewall because of this, too).

I have these cougar manuals.... are they the same as your's or are they different and any help to you?
View attachment 11530View attachment 11531View attachment 11532

When a chose to buy mine, I had to pick from the 1999 and the 2000 because of my registration date and the possibility that there would be a lag between that and the manufacture date. So the manuals you have are the alternative option I didn't buy. Chances are if I had there would have been many areas where those would have been a better bet but I couldn't afford both ! Are you looking to sell them Paul ? Sorry I didn't get back to you on the other business, but I have been limping around since I missed the Notts show, but should have an opportunity soon...

To add to the confusion, it's worth remembering that US model years ran one year in advance of actual production years. As far as the US was concerned there was never a '98 Cougar.
The 99 manuals will refer to our 98 models, the 2000 manuals will refer to our 99 models etc, etc.

To add to the confusion, it's worth remembering that US model years ran one year in advance of actual production years. As far as the US was concerned there was never a '98 Cougar.
The 99 manuals will refer to our 98 models, the 2000 manuals will refer to our 99 models etc, etc.

WTF..... OMG....:eek:

Anyone know why we never got a Haynes manual for our cat's, surely there was/is a market for them....

Anyone know why we never got a Haynes manual for our cat's, surely there was/is a market for them....
That's Haynes for you, the Chilterns covers the Cougar and Contour/Mystique (Mondeo), so for the most part any Haynes Cougar manual would echo their existig Mondeo one.

Magazines do this all the time, even over here. Apparently the psychology is that the punter feels they're getting something before they're "supposed to" and it's been that way since at least the '60s.

Same reason as the Rover Coupe never got one, I imagine: not popular enough, and the vast majority is covered by manuals for other cars in the same line.

Directly from Haynes

1. The model range did not have enough vehicles produced.
We typically do not produce manuals for vehicles less than two years old. And we don't consider creating a manual until there are enough vehicles on the road for us to cover the time and costs of developing one of our comprehensive manuals (which includes a complete teardown and rebuild of the vehicle and the time/costs to author and print the manual). There are thousands of year/make/model combinations of vehicles out there with new ones being introduced all the time. It would take an army of qualified technicians and writers to cover such quantities. We have to be a bit more selective.
If not enough sold there is noway Haynes can recoup their costs