A14 Upgrade Huntingdon to Cambridge

TopCat1127

Club Member
Sep 25, 2006
Middle of a field..........nr Huntingdon
For those who don't know, keep an eye on this as there's gonna be plenty of disruption at both ends and in between.
Living at the Huntingdon end I've seen a lot of this being built without them disturbing us too much, but i guess now it's getting to the point where things are gonna move.........A LOT!!!!

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/projects/a14-cambridge-to-huntingdon/

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk...onday-for-four-consecutive-weekends-1-8523906

If I find any other decent links I'll chuck em on here.

I'm not planning on heading that way in the immediate future, but T does travel through there to get to some of her fleet customers.

Pretty sure that unless she already knows - and of course she knows everything - she'll appreciate the heads-up!

I'll be honest noel I think they've done a fantastic job of managing it up to now, the earthworks involved have been on an immense scale

That's good to hear, I guess all those penalty clauses keep the contractors on their toes !

We too seem to be getting some attention up here to our roads. The A47 between Norwich and Great Yarmouth is a mess, but lots of survey vehicles appeared a couple of weeks ago and are taking core samples etc., along the fields beside the single carriageway portions. Dare we hope they start work soon ? The long awaited Northern Distributor Road around Norwich has been open a while but again is not quite complete. And I for one don't understand how four lanes onto a roundabout = 2 once you've pulled onto it. Still, musn't grumble, we might even get the final 7 miles done eventually, the infamous 'Acle Straight'...

Proposed_Acle_Straight_development.png

Hmmmm... This really helps me to visualise it - not...

'approximately the same weight as a blue whale'

And the logic here is impeccable, why don't we just call all dual carriageways motorways instead then ? Will it only be safer once the disgnation has been made ? Otherwise why bother ? Is this a placebo effect ?

The only tangible reason is made in the last paragraph, but is framed with 'will also' not 'because'. Hard shoulder anybody ?

By the end of this year we will ask the Planning Inspectorate to amend the road status for a specific section of our scheme – the section between Ellington and Girton – from trunk road designation to motorway.
Motorways are twice as safe as A road dual carriageways and six times safer than single-carriageway roads, so this change offers safety benefits to our already robust plans. Classifying the road as a motorway will also remove slow moving traffic (such as farm vehicles and mopeds), which will further improve journey times.

That's what they seem to be doing renaming our A12 to A47. I appreciate it is also to allow the existing 'A47 Alliance' to carry some of the cost, but have you ever travelled up the A12 ? They at least need to improve it from footpath to cycle path - lol...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's a massive project - I didn't realise they were re-routing the entire A14, I thought they were only doing the A1/A14 interchange. Impressive :cool:

I seemed to recall it's the largest roads project in 25 years or summat like that.

The original A14 bridge at Huntingdon rail station has been under close scrutiny for the last 10 years, 5 of which it's had 6ft deep I beam gussets attached to 4 of the pillars, basically it's knackered!! Even before they put Cambridge services in, this was already in the planning stages, hence the services were such a distance from the main road.

Cambridge end has had a massive overhaul too.

That's what they seem to be doing renaming our A12 to A47. I appreciate it is also to allow the existing 'A47 Alliance' to carry some of the cost...

Weird, given that it's so far from the M4 corridor. I realise that they can be a little cavalier with road numbering (look at the A38 or the A414), but that's really pushing the boundaries to the limit.

Once upon a time, I was driving to head office in Cheltenham. I had done it many times and remembered the road numbers. One night I encountered roadworks and was pleased that although I did not recognise the layout of some sort of bypass or other improvements, that I knew which road to take to get to my destination. Now I can't remember the specifics, some A4nn ish roads are involved, but they had actually changed a road number and I got very lost. Talking to a colleague the next day and it wasn't me, they had actually changed a road number completely. How stupid is that ?