New member from Australia!

WildRacer

Club Member
Jul 2, 2017
Australia
G'Day all!

I am from the sunny UK, known as Australia! (y) and have a large interest in these forums (The only RHD Cougar forums), I own a Ford Cougar Eibach in which there are only 100 made in Australia and were sold here through TickFord dealerships, which was a factory Ford modifying dealership similar to AMG, etc. Although mine is not modified mechanically in the engine, cosmetically it is as it was fitted with the Visteon bodykit as standard and the ST200 wheels. Tickford also fitted Eibach suspension, so she handles well :)

Currently I have recently purchased a 2003 Ford Escape 3.0 Engine (I think it is called the Ford Maverick over there?) and well into disassembling it, I also have the ToyoSport/Racebit headers ready to be installed and I am currently awaiting to receive my Torsen LSD which I ordered prior to Christmas. So looking into some serious power, I have noticed it isn't covered much at all here as it seems all the guys in the US swap over the 3.0 engines. I also have the flickering headlights/gauges issue which only happens at Idle and goes away as the car revs up. Although all the comments for the fix detail that the flickering lights occur when the car is revving and not at idle, would anyone know whether this is the big three or the alternator fix issue? or perhaps my alternator is failing...
:bomb:

The Cougars are extremely rare beasts in Australia and I would be lucky to see a standard one every few months on the road. But the Cougar is my dream car since I was a kid really and I am grateful to own one here. I am intrigued by the amount of interest is in these forums which I would like to contribute to hopefully in the future! T
here is a lot of great information on these forums which will be useful to me. I have only just purchased the membership and Merry Christmas to everyone :)

Cheers!
WildRacer

Pics of my beast! She's completely stock from the TickFord dealer!
:) (The yellow Monaro isn't mine, that is at a mates house lol)
cp4792918121019790597.jpg
17475326_1428774323839862_1296040967_o.jpg
17453410_1428774320506529_1751698055_o.jpg

Last edited:
Hi and merry christmas

So the Tickford upgrade is handling/wheels and a quite discrete bodykit - being the bonnet scoop + the more normal front valance and boot spoiler and more unusually undersill fins, not full-on body side adornments nore rear bumper lower treatment.
Do you know if the interior is changed in any way from standard?

G'Day all!

I am from the sunny UK, known as Australia! [emoji106] and have a large interest in these forums (The only RHD Cougar forums), I own a Ford Cougar Eibach in which there are only 100 made in Australia and were sold here through TickFord dealerships, which was a factory Ford modifying dealership similar to AMG, etc. Although mine is not modified mechanically in the engine, cosmetically it is as it was fitted with the Visteon bodykit as standard and the ST200 wheels. Tickford also fitted Eibach suspension, so she handles well :)

Currently I have recently purchased a 2003 Ford Escape 3.0 Engine (I think it is called the Ford Maverick over there?) and well into disassembling it, I also have the ToyoSport/Racebit headers ready to be installed and I am currently awaiting to receive my Torsen LSD which I ordered prior to Christmas. So looking into some serious power, I have noticed it isn't covered much at all here as it seems all the guys in the US swap over the 3.0 engines. I also have the flickering headlights/gauges issue which only happens at Idle and goes away as the car revs up. Although all the comments for the fix detail that the flickering lights occur when the car is revving and not at idle, would anyone know whether this is the big three or the alternator fix issue? or perhaps my alternator is failing...
:bomb:

The Cougars are extremely rare beasts in Australia and I would be lucky to see a standard one every few months on the road. But the Cougar is my dream car since I was a kid really and I am grateful to own one here. I am intrigued by the amount of interest is in these forums which I would like to contribute to hopefully in the future! T
here is a lot of great information on these forums which will be useful to me. I have only just purchased the membership and Merry Christmas to everyone :)

Cheers!
WildRacer

Pics of my beast! She's completely stock from the TickFord dealer!
[emoji2] (The yellow Monaro isn't mine, that is at a mates house lol)
View attachment 9656View attachment 9654View attachment 9655
Welcome glad to see a 3.0 liter going in. Theres a few things you have to do to get it to fit but all in all its a simple swap.

The flickering lights could be a few things. Its definitely a charging issue two of which you already said. But could also be a stretched belt or worn tensioner. Id start with the Alternator mod because its the closest to free.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for the kind and helpful comments :)

Hi and merry christmas

So the Tickford upgrade is handling/wheels and a quite discrete bodykit - being the bonnet scoop + the more normal front valance and boot spoiler and more unusually undersill fins, not full-on body side adornments nore rear bumper lower treatment.
Do you know if the interior is changed in any way from standard?

Hi nvingo, I don't believe there were any interior changes, it is the basic C1 interior spec.

P3310003.jpg

I actually have a brochure that the Tickford dealers used to promote the car, it definitely is official not something I made up with bodykit parts haha. I will take a photo of the brochure tomorrow as it is very late here at the moment. They also lowered it by 20mm which is why the front spoiler is a bit distorted I had to actually take it off as it will scrape up any small steep hill, lol. Here is a promo shot of one when they were advertising them.

12146432065_f48632e3c7_b.jpg

Welcome glad to see a 3.0 liter going in. Theres a few things you have to do to get it to fit but all in all its a simple swap.

The flickering lights could be a few things. Its definitely a charging issue two of which you already said. But could also be a stretched belt or worn tensioner. Id start with the Alternator mod because its the closest to free.

Thank you for the info mate, I will have a look into the alternator fix and get it sorted soon (y) Hopefully the grunt of the 3.0 will match the sporty look of the car haha. Going for maximum effort but don't want to go mental with it.
Welcome! What a beautiful car, fantastic to see!(y)

Thank you mate, she looks like a concept car driving on the roads here I have never ever seen another Eibach anywhere I am very lucky to own her :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Although I must add there is one feature us Aussie guys didn't get as an option anywhere from factory in our Coogs is the front windscreen demister button, everything else I have seen is identical :)

Thank you everyone for the kind and helpful comments [emoji2]

Hi nvingo, I don't believe there were any interior changes, it is the basic C1 interior spec.

View attachment 9657

I actually have a brochure that the Tickford dealers used to promote the car, it definitely is official not something I made up with bodykit parts haha. I will take a photo of the brochure tomorrow as it is very late here at the moment. They also lowered it by 20mm which is why the front spoiler is a bit distorted I had to actually take it off as it will scrape up any small steep hill, lol. Here is a promo shot of one when they were advertising them.

View attachment 9658

Thank you for the info mate, I will have a look into the alternator fix and get it sorted soon [emoji106] Hopefully the grunt of the 3.0 will match the sporty look of the car haha. Going for maximum effort but don't want to go mental with it.

Thank you mate, she looks like a concept car driving on the roads here I have never ever seen another Eibach anywhere I am very lucky to own her :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Although I must add there is one feature us Aussie guys didn't get as an option anywhere from factory in our Coogs is the front windscreen demister button, everything else I have seen is identical [emoji2]
I didnt get that button either and the bastards put my steering wheel on the wrong side of the car. Have you looked into what all is required to put in a 3.0?
The added grunt is definitely nice but say bye bye to first gear. You wont be needing that anymore lol.

...Hi nvingo, I don't believe there were any interior changes, it is the basic C1 interior spec....
I actually have a brochure that the Tickford dealers used to promote the car, it definitely is official not something I made up with bodykit parts haha.
(y)I wasn't doubting it's authenticity, just observing that it's far more understated than some of the aftermarket kits.

Which part of Aussie are you in mate? Cougars are a rare sight in Australia, only spotted one in Brisbane, last time I was home in 2009.

I didnt get that button either and the bastards put my steering wheel on the wrong side of the car. Have you looked into what all is required to put in a 3.0?
The added grunt is definitely nice but say bye bye to first gear. You wont be needing that anymore lol.

I have been looking into in, doing the full swap so I'll be using the Escape Upper and Lower intake, valves, cams etc. Have read that the pulse wheel needs to be rotated, alternator bracket & TB Bracket needs to be modified, timing & valve covers need to be switched for the 2.5 ones. I also need to modify the escape fuel rail to fit to my Cougars return fuel style (Escape is returnless). Most of the info is over at NECO but I will be getting a full dyno tune when it is finished. So i'm hoping someone over here will know how to tweak the Cougar's ECU. (y)

(y)I wasn't doubting it's authenticity, just observing that it's far more understated than some of the aftermarket kits.

All good mate! There isn't really much on the car which can prove it is a real Eibach but I recently got my hands on a promo piece from Ebay, here are the pics of it. Comparing it with the standard promo piece. (y) (Sorry for the Flash :()

P1020169.jpg

P1020171.jpg

Which part of Aussie are you in mate? Cougars are a rare sight in Australia, only spotted one in Brisbane, last time I was home in 2009.

Hi mate, good to see another Aussie around :) I am down south in Adelaide and there definitely are a lot less nowadays, I might be lucky to see one once in a blue moon actually driving along. I remember seeing them driving around for a while when they came out in the early 2000's but then they all just disappeared :eek:. Sometimes I see them parked but that is also very rare, never seen one like mine though. There are a few around on Gumtree Australia but they are usually thrashed examples and are missing the front spoiler.

Cheers.

Welcome to the forum, nice to see an Eibach version, they must be virtually extinct by now

What colour is yours? Looks very much like the ST200 ice blue - or is it a Frosty?

Welcome to the forum, nice to see an Eibach version, they must be virtually extinct by now

What colour is yours? Looks very much like the ST200 ice blue - or is it a Frosty?

Hi mate, yes I think they are just about extinct I have seen a few wrecked ones on online aussie wrecking yards which is sad. Mine is the Silver Frost colour :)

[h=3]This is the TSB to cure the flickering lights

SERVICE PROCEDURE
[/h]
  1. Verify condition.
  2. Disconnect battery ground.
  3. Disconnect EVAP emissions line at back of engine
  4. Remove battery voltage sensing/alternator fuse (circuit 30-BA8) from the engine compartment power distribution box (fuse 7 for vehicles built before 5/24/1999 and fuse 2 for vehicles built after 5/24/1999).
  5. Raise vehicle on hoist. Refer to appropriate year Workshop Manual, Section 100-01.
  6. Disconnect battery cable at B+ terminal, -12A522- harness connector and single wire stator connector from alternator.
  7. Push wire harness up toward top of engine.
  8. Lower vehicle down to ground.
  9. Pull harness out on top of engine for access.
  10. Take the battery voltage sensing/alternator wire (circuit 30-BA8 red) out of the harness bundle.
  11. Measure 100mm (4") from connector and cut wire.
  12. Splice the 100mm (4") wire with Wire 1S8Z-14A411-AA (6.3mm (1/4") eyelet terminal pigtail) using wire splicing procedure outlined in TSB 99-22-2 and fold back and shrink wrap the harness side of the cut wire.
  13. If L-shaped plastic shield is on the battery cable, untape and remove.
  14. Slide eyelet terminal through rubber boot on battery cable such that the new terminal is on the bottom
  15. Retape L-shaped shield back to battery cable.
  16. Put excess wire length of spliced wire (circuit 30-BA8) into protective sleeve and tape to secure.
  17. Push wire assemblies down toward alternator.
  18. Reattach EVAP emissions line.
  19. Raise vehicle.
  20. Connect -12A522- harness and stator connector to alternator.
  21. Connect battery cable and new terminal to B+ stud (new terminal on stud first) and torque nut to 8.0 ±1.2 N-m(70 ±10 lb-in).
  22. Lower vehicle.
  23. Connect battery ground cable.
  24. Verify repair.
PART # XXXXX You need to make this part

I have been looking into in, doing the full swap so I'll be using the Escape Upper and Lower intake, valves, cams etc. Have read that the pulse wheel needs to be rotated, alternator bracket & TB Bracket needs to be modified, timing & valve covers need to be switched for the 2.5 ones. I also need to modify the escape fuel rail to fit to my Cougars return fuel style (Escape is returnless). Most of the info is over at NECO but I will be getting a full dyno tune when it is finished. So i'm hoping someone over here will know how to tweak the Cougar's ECU. [emoji106]

Actually for the alternator bracket you modify the engine not the bracket. If you put the bracket against the engine there's 2 little pieces in the casting of the block that get in the way of bolting it on. Just cut the pieces off with a dremel tool. You'll see them when you put the timing cover on.

If you put a return style external fuel regulator on you dont modify the fuel rail either other then getting an adapter to go from the factory ford fitting to a -AN line.

We've also discovered since the How to was written on NECO that the newer ford valve covers fit under the hood they're just really close on the oil fill cap to hood clearance. I actually modified my oil fill cap and it worked fine.

Actually for the alternator bracket you modify the engine not the bracket. If you put the bracket against the engine there's 2 little pieces in the casting of the block that get in the way of bolting it on. Just cut the pieces off with a dremel tool. You'll see them when you put the timing cover on.

If you put a return style external fuel regulator on you dont modify the fuel rail either other then getting an adapter to go from the factory ford fitting to a -AN line.

We've also discovered since the How to was written on NECO that the newer ford valve covers fit under the hood they're just really close on the oil fill cap to hood clearance. I actually modified my oil fill cap and it worked fine.

Thanks, appreciate the extra info :) I will probably purchase the returnless to return adapter on NPG, very expensive but probably the safest. I heard that the Escape UIM will not fit in the Cougar without bonnet clearance, do you know if that is correct? Because the Taurus and ST220 models weren't sold here so I would have to import one if that is the case. o_O