Review: 5/5 Halfords 114 piece Aluminium Tool Set

backseateducation

Club Moderator
Feb 1, 2014
Cornwall
As here.....
http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/tool-kits/halfords-114-piece-aluminium-tool-set

Good - excellent quality set for general use. Not quite up to the Halfords Professional range, but the tool kits we get given at work might as well be made of cheap cheese for all the use they are, and thats if you can hold on to them long enough without someone else nicking bits so this is a massive improvement. Very good.

Bad - nothing I can think of.

Conclusion - at the usual discounted price this is excellent quality and value. I'm not sure as I'd buy it at full price (£220) but that's rather nitpicking.

Price - £110

Purchased from - Halfords Malvern

Build quality - 5

Ease of use - 5

Value - 5 (at discounted price)

Overall - 5. I can't fault it for my needs. Bought for work use rather than hobby and will do just fine.

Handy set to keep in the boot and compact enough to cary around a scrap yard etc (y)

Couldn't agree more. I carry around the 120-piece socket set with me as well as a handful of other tools and materials in that boot box I built. Halfords Advanced stuff is beyond reproach and is easily the equal of Sealy or Sykes-Pickavant in terms of quality.

Tracey also has the 200-piece version that she carries around in Jinxy's boot.

Great value, especially if you can get them in their sales.

Well I did actually have cause to use some of the items today and the difference over the ones we got given by work is unbelievable. Now I have sockets that actually fit nuts and spanners that dont feel like they're bending when you haul on them.

Looks a nice little set, and the Advanced Pro stuff is comparable to SnapOn - been whaling on it with hammers for a decade and never had to replace anything (apart from lost bits)

Also, trade card update a while back means trade discount is now applied after the sale price - it used to cancel the sale price and then apply trade discount. If you don't have one, lie and get one - free, and saves a fortune.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

I've always avoided buying these "compendium" toolkits simply because, all the tools i have i've collected over many years and there's nothing in this kit that i don't already have. However, when it comes to going out ie: MFSM, scrapyards etc etc, i think this looks a very handy kit to have. This would have been ideal yesterday when i was at the scrapyard, everything i needed in one small box whereas i had odd sockets and spanners screwdrivers etc in a bloody carrier bag. Tomorrow i go to Halfords. (y)

I've always avoided buying these "compendium" toolkits simply because, all the tools i have i've collected over many years and there's nothing in this kit that i don't already have. However, when it comes to going out ie: MFSM, scrapyards etc etc, i think this looks a very handy kit to have. This would have been ideal yesterday when i was at the scrapyard, everything i needed in one small box whereas i had odd sockets and spanners screwdrivers etc in a bloody carrier bag. Tomorrow i go to Halfords. (y)

I get you, because nobody wants to buy tools twice really.

But I carry light 1/4 and 3/8 sets (and fluids, and cloths) with me to help friends, stranded strangers, and myself. These are just Halfords or Sealey sets which can do everything that doesn't involve flashing amber lights.

In other words, my home kit ain't the same as my travel kit, but the "compendium" kits have saved people before. Sometimes having a 10mm, 13mm or a T35 is enough to get someone running without hurting their AA/RAC "no claims bonus", which is actually a thing.

:edit: I didn't realise this was a thread resurrection!

I think they're still at half price Al. I've been using it for work for a while now and i've probably only used 5% of the tools in the box, but they do seem decent quality :)

I have a scruffy old bag of tools i carry in the boot for emergency use....every time i see it i think should get something like this instead.
Looks a decent kit, thanks for the review.

I have a scruffy old bag of tools i carry in the boot for emergency use....every time i see it i think should get something like this instead.
Looks a decent kit, thanks for the review.

I rate this kit: 5/5
This is also what pushed me. Sick of rummaging for a spanner or a screwdriver etc so i took the plunge this morning and honestly, i don't think the Halfords page does it justice. Yes there are a couple of bits in there that imo are space fillers ie the knife and probably the hacksaw although on a rare occasion there might be a use for one out in the field when yes you might be thankful you have one, but just the fact that everything is here in the box is enough and everything in it's place, not buried under everything else.
If i have one criticism, it's that the socket tray could have been a little more substancial, foam would have been better than blown vinyl imo but hey, i can sort that no problem. A minor criticism.
Overall, i am pleased i spent the money today. (y)
To give 4/5 i think would be mean considering the pros, so i have to give it foyv (anybody remember Thank your lucky stars).

This is amazing, Matt buys tools other people think are worthwhile:LOL:

As said above I only use it for work, but its nice to have everything in the case, it looks reasonably professional when you walk into a job.

Well you know what the circus clowns say Matt................;)
I'll be taking it to the breakers with me tomorrow and i'm dreading looking like the "new boy" to all the guys up there, that case is sooooooo.....erm, ALLUMINIUM! :LOL:

Well you know what the circus clowns say Matt................;)
I'll be taking it to the breakers with me tomorrow and i'm dreading looking like the "new boy" to all the guys up there, that case is sooooooo.....erm, ALLUMINIUM! :LOL:

Kick it around in the mud for a while before you go :)

Stick a snap-on sticker on it. They'll marvel at the kit that must have cost you 3 grand. No wonder you've kept it clean!

Really good review. Have just asked the Mrs to get me this for my birthday next month so I can begin tinkering (and then begging for help once I've made a mistake!)

Just as a kind of running report, I've had to glue the box back together today. Most of the time it spends on the cab floor of my van, but I guess it must have had a few bumps from the time it's spent in the back. Gorilla Glue gel seems to have sorted it, but just keep an eye on it if you've bought one.
40713691453_7088958c0e_c.jpg