Server Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRT803

Tech Admin
Club Admin
Mar 30, 2012
Nottingham
I've had a notification from our hosting company that there will be maintenance period in the upcoming days.

While the impact of this should be minimal, with an estimate of 5 minutes down time during a quiet period in the middle of the night, the server will have to be turned off, migrated and restarted. Our server hasn't been restarted since last April and while I have every faith it will reboot without any issues, there is a slim chance it might get stuck and require user input to kick it into action.

I will try and check the status of the site before work on Monday 8th, but if there is a problem it'll have to wait until the evening. Sorry in advance.

Primary Window:
Start: 2017-05-07 23:00 UTC
End: 2017-05-08 05:00 UTC

Secondary Window:
Start: 2017-05-08 23:00 UTC
End: 2017-05-09 05:00 UTC

Hi there,

In an effort to ensure the best possible performance, and continue providing you a stable platform, our Platform Engineers are performing a refresh of some physical machines as well as performing upgrades to networking hardware. To minimize disruption, we will be migrating your Droplet(s) to new physical machines.

Throughout a period of approximately 6 hours, all the Droplets on the hypervisor where your Droplet resides will be migrated to a new host. We spread out the migrations to ensure that each of them run in a timely manner and completes successfully.

We will be aiming to complete all migrations for your Droplet(s) listed at the bottom of this email during the primary window. However, if we are unable to complete the migration during that window, we will resume during the secondary window. You can confirm whether or not your Droplet was migrated by reviewing its action history for a power off and power on event, or by reaching out to our support team.

When your specific Droplet is queued for migration, it will be powered off and you can expect about 1 minute of downtime per GB of your Droplet's utilized disk space.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us by opening a ticket on your account or replying to this email.

Thank you,

I work in IT, if I had a quid for every time I'd heard that one! :LOL:

Me too, but... VMs, man. You must know how many times the've dragged us out of the crap, right? Totally changed the game for corporate upgrades!

Change management are way more chill these days because we're that much more confident. Or like, we're not stressed during CAB.

Thanks for the heads up Mark (y)

What kind of sysadmin actually tells the users that the service is going to break for a while for essential maintenance? Jesus.

I am outraged at this transparency.

How dare you.

Status
Not open for further replies.