Brake pipes!!!!!

Not everyone wants to do or learn stuff. I get that. But as someone who loves to undersstand these things? I'm in.

I don't neccessarily assume that I'm helpful - I know that I'm not everything - but here we are.

I love to learn anything to do with cars im always in :)

Last time I needed a brake pipe for an old car I had to take it off and take it to a garage and ask them to make me one the same without a hole in it :LOL:

Last time the garage wanted a small fortune to replace a front to rear pipe, only because of corrosion close to the flexi, I just replaced the last foot of pipe and rejoined as per below...

My flaring tool is the same as Al's one. I've tried a few different ones in the past, but that one is far and away the best. :edit: It also handles the original steel pipes as well as the replacement copper. Not all do, so buyer beware!

Of course I practiced mutliple times before I ever went near a car with it, but to be honest it's almost impossible to get wrong with that tool. The only mistake I made that first time? I forgot to put the fitting on the replacement section before doing the second flare! Fortunately I had enough slack to cut off the end and do it again...

:edit to add: When replacing sections of pipe, it's my opinion that you should use as few connectors as possible, since each one is a potential point of failure. If your issue is near the rear of the car, consider going all the way back to the flexi hose union. Copper is (relatively) cheap after all, and there's nothing to say that a section which looks okay to join to now, might go scabby in short order.

Incidentally, the Swiss MOT (which is noted for being a complete pain in the backside) actually doesn't allow for any additional unions that the manufacturer didn't install. Scabby pipe? You're replacing the lot, from the ABS unit back.

Last edited:
Tiger had a whole bunch of unions fore and aft of the subby. Not sure whether the previous owner did that, but it seems unlikely since the whole lot was still steel.

I replaced the lot forward to the connectors under the mid-belly because I don't want to drop that subframe again if I can help it!