UKCougar...club?

MRT803

Tech Admin
Club Admin
Mar 30, 2012
Nottingham
Hi Everyone.

After yet more issues with the host of ukcougar.org, it was decided that we'd jump ship. Since the outage of the site in January I have been looking around at alternatives and have decided that we needed to be on a VPS (virtual private server). This latest episode kind of sped up the process somewhat, with me spending all yesterday evening installing and securing a server. This new VPS should also be a lot quicker than the old host as this server is only having to deal with the traffic of this site, rather than sharing with hundreds of other sites.

You might have also noticed the new (temporary?) domain, ukcougar.club . Rather than wait for the old host to sort out the mess, it was decided to get a new domain. When and if we can get .org transferred away, we will have both to play with. Let us know what you think about UKCOUGAR.CLUB and should we keep this?

So it's kind of a fresh start, new server, new domain, but still with the 295,000+ posts that you've all contributed towards over the many years of the club.

Hopefully we start having less issues with the site and having more fun with our cars!

Mark

---

For anyone interested, the new VPS has 2 CPU's, 2GB RAM and 40GB SSD.

Nice work Mark, an yes it seems much nippier than the old host (y)

As for the ".club" - to be honest it makes more sense than ".org" as it is a club after all :)

Prepare for a boost in sales of the club stickers! :LOL:

Great job Mark, and yes it does feel quicker, i'm having to double click faster to get the advanced reply function now :LOL:.
I agree with John, ukcougar.club is good and i think will look better on the new club sails/banner. As for stickers, well, i might be a tad busy ;)
Out of interest Mark, how does the new compare with the old setup ie:

VPS has 2 CPU's, 2GB RAM and 40GB SSD.

Out of interest Mark, how does the new compare with the old setup ie:

VPS has 2 CPU's, 2GB RAM and 40GB SSD.

We can only really compare the space and bandwidth, as everything else was shared. The server probably had 12-16 cores and tons of ram, but then everyone would get a small quota of that with no reserves. So as we've seen over the last few months the site took quite a while to respond for each page request, I think they just had way too many sites on the one server and it was getting painful.

Space: 5GB (likely HDD) -> 40GB (SSD)
Bandwidth: 30GB -> 3TB!

With all this extra space and bandwidth, I will look into increasing the attachment and private message quotas for everyone.

The server probably had 12-16 cores and tons of ram

Sounds like my dev workstation in the office - 12 core Xeon with Hyperthreading (24 cores showing in Task Manager) and 32Gb RAM. It's a beast, would probably be brilliant for gaming if it had a decent 3D card :LOL:

65280-27171.gif

"Shine your shoes guv'nor?" :LOL:

Found my way here thanks to Chris Mako. Thanks Mark, your efforts are appreciated!
I'm going to try and send a mass email out to all users later today to make them aware of the change of address. Thought I would give it a day to make sure there was no teething issues with the new server.

As for stickers, well, i might be a tad busy ;)

(y)

Now all we need is for someone to complain that it's all the fault of the inner circle and we should all be compensated somehow:devilish:

Good work all, it must be very frustrating. I can use a computer if it is working but problems like that are way beyond me. Thanks to Andy for pointing me in this direction.:D

I do like the idea of the .club address, it gives the site something a bit different from the norm. Anyone up for another hoody (or similar) group buy?:)

I'm going to try and send a mass email out to all users later today to make them aware of the change of address. Thought I would give it a day to make sure there was no teething issues with the new server.

Mark, did you ever get round to sending this e-Mail out? I have people attending Scotfest next week and I don't know if they are able to access messages from the forum or not.

i only came by the new name by chance after doing a seach looking for some info, found info on a facebook page in the end

also found that using some of the old links takes you to the old site, but overcame this by deleting the .org bit and putting .club in link till its all sorted, if anyone is having a similar problem

Well done for getting us back online with a new provider Mark.

Sorry to put a downer on the change to .club URL but isn't changing this going to create lot of hassle that we don't need?

Will all of the (now dead) inter-page links be changed easily? I remember when we switched forum software and changed from .com to .org a lot of these links went dead and just got forgotten about. You'd use the search feature and find a topic with a link to another forum page with the answer you were looking for, only to discover a dead link.

There may be dead links on other sites (e.g. NECO) which we have no control over.

Will all our member discount providers all be updated with the new URL?

Club stickers has been mentioned, will those that have recently forked out for a .org sticker be happy to fork out again or will replacements be provided from club funds (which I'm sure could be spent on something more worth while).

We'll need a new club banner - another waste of club funds.

Mark, did you ever get round to sending this e-Mail out? I have people attending Scotfest next week and I don't know if they are able to access messages from the forum or not.

i only came by the new name by chance after doing a seach looking for some info, found info on a facebook page in the end

also found that using some of the old links takes you to the old site, but overcame this by deleting the .org bit and putting .club in link till its all sorted, if anyone is having a similar problem

Ok chaps, i have no idea if it worked but i have just sent a mass email out to all members. I suppose we'll know soon enough :)