Review: 5/5 Covers for the Cougar - Carcoverzone.co.uk

WildV6

Well-known user
Feb 2, 2008
Devon, UK
Hi All,

I have just had a conversation with John at Cover-Zone https://www.cover-zone.com/ and I have bought another cover for my Coug (last one also purchased from them too), as the old one is a little past it due to the amount of weather it gets down here in the South West.

After seeing pic's of my coug with the Jaguar X-Type cover on it, they have decided to change their pattern for the Cougar cover slightly, as the Jaguar cover fits a little better than the original Cougar cover. So, when ordering you can ask for a Cougar cover rather than the Jag one.

So, for any of you interested in a decent cover to protect your pride and joy through the winter months, the I would advise having a look at their website. Yes, the covers are a little expensive, but they are well worth the money IMO.

https://www.cover-zone.com/products/search-results/?make=31&model=Cougar&year=2000&trim=Coupe

The one I have personally bought today is this one: https://www.cover-zone.com/products/car-covers/stormforce/

Mods - if this is in the wrong place, then please feel free to move to correct thread area.

Hope this helps everyone. Cheers, Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim,

Do you have a picture somewhere of this cover fitted to your car? I'm getting the Cougar back in the next few days and I'm in the market for a decent cover like this one.

Tim,

Do you have a picture somewhere of this cover fitted to your car? I'm getting the Cougar back in the next few days and I'm in the market for a decent cover like this one.

Hey Rich, no I don't matey, (not the new one at least, the only pic's I have are for the old one with rips/tares in it). However, I can say that I am very pleased with the new cover. Completely covers the coug with no issues with the rear spoiler either. Covers the whole car including the wheels.

Rich, here's the old cover ( you have to take into consideration I have my own straps around it which pulls the cover up. The new cover covers the entire car)

Hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

If you needs pic's of the new cover, then I can take some once the bl**dy rain stops lol!!

Cheers Tim, that's very useful. Out of interest, how long had you had the cover in the pictures before it tore, and was that down to weather erosion or did it get snagged on something?

- - - Updated - - -

If you needs pic's of the new cover, then I can take some once the bl**dy rain stops lol!!

That'd be grand mate, if you could.

Cheers Tim, that's very useful. Out of interest, how long had you had the cover in the pictures before it tore, and was that down to weather erosion or did it get snagged on something?

- - - Updated - - -

That'd be grand mate, if you could.

No worries, maybe a few days before I can get pic's done.

Re: Tares etc. I had the original cover over 2 years. It got torn by the neighbours cat jumping off the garage roof and onto the coug and then used as a scratch pad. Also the amount of bad weather in the past 2 years down here didn't help. Also you are supposed to take off and let the car and cover breathe (although it is ventilated material). I just left it on the car and never bothered to take off - that will change with the new cover - I will try and keep it in better condition. There are different covers depending upon where you keep the car i.e. Indoor/Outdoor.

Anyway, glad this helps and as I said, will try and get pic's of the new cover on the car just as soon as I can.

Today has been the first dry weekend day since we got the Cougar back, so I finally got the chance to wash her and get the cover fitted... and what a disappointment it turned out to be.

The mirror pockets are in completely the wrong place. After following the fitting instructions to the letter, starting out by fitting the front section under the front bumper, working back and hooking the mirrors in the pockets then moving to the back of the car, the rear elasticated section will not reach further than the join of the bootlid and the top of the rear bumper. The only way I could get the cover on over the whole car was to take the mirrors out of the pockets. As can hopefully be seen in the pictures, the mirror pockets are about 10 inches too high and too far back.

I've double checked my receipt and I've definitely ordered a Cougar cover, so I'll fire off an email to Cover Zone with these pictures and see what they say. If they put it right then no harm done, but at this present moment I'm far from happy.

image.jpg2_zpsumzenpou.jpg

image.jpg5_zpsb6bolyet.jpg

image.jpg1_zpslbzeubty.jpg

image.jpg3_zpseli3cfaa.jpg

image.jpg6_zpsp05olvps.jpg

I'm far from happy too. I trial fitted mine today for the first time. Same problem as Richard's. With the mirrors in the pockets, there's no way you can pull the cover over the rear bumper and there's excess cover at the front. The mirror pockets are in completely the wrong position. I'll be arranging to get my money back tomorrow.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423181405568.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423181405568.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 9
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423181780486.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423181780486.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 8
Out of curiosity, did either of you try hooking at the rear of the car and working forward? Looks like it's a little looser on the front half in Manos' pics.

I'm far from happy too. I trial fitted mine today for the first time. Same problem as Richard's. With the mirrors in the pockets, there's no way you can pull the cover over the rear bumper and there's excess cover at the front. The mirror pockets are in completely the wrong position. I'll be arranging to get my money back tomorrow.

That's precisely how mine ended up, Manos. Which reminds me, I need to call them. I left a message on their answer machine last weekend when I first discovered the problem, but they haven't got back to me and it completely went out of my head this week. I'll see what they say and report back on here.

- - - Updated - - -

Out of curiosity, did either of you try hooking at the rear of the car and working forward? Looks like it's a little looser on the front half in Manos' pics.

I must admit I haven't, Kully, but they are very specific in their fitting instructions that you must start at the front and work back. I can't see how it would make much of difference though, with the mirrors in the pockets the cover is stretched tight by the time it reaches the top of the back bumper, there simply isn't enough material there to reach from the bottom of the bumper to the mirrors.

I agree, it wouldn't work starting at the rear. The mirror pockets are quite simply about a foot too far back from the front of the cover.

Phone them now Richard. I've just spoken to James and arranged for a refund. I've also sent them my pics. I did ask if they'd heard from you but James wasn't aware but said someone else could have dealt with it.

Just called him now, he's asked if I can email him through the pictures I took (which I will do when I get home from work) and he say he'll get their designer to take a look, make the necessary alterations and arrange a swap.

James phoned me back after looking at my emailed pics and said the CCC187 is the wrong model for the Cougar and read me out a different number. But as I'm going away on Monday (to chase penguins for 3 months) a swap is not much use to me. So mine is packed and labelled for a courier to collect today.

Maybe CCC187 is old stock of the original design and has since been replaced by the revision that Tim mentioned in his original post? I'll check my paperwork when I get home tonight, but it sounds (and looks) like we've both got the same design. In fairness to James, he seems like a very helpful and approachable guy, so I'm confident that all this will be sorted with a minimum of fuss.

Of course, my car has now been sat on my driveway and open to the elements for a week, so I will simply have to give it another thorough wash, polish and wax before applying the replacement cover! :)

I agree, James was very helpful. At first, he could only arrange collection next working day, so after I explained that I'm travelling on Monday it looked like I'd have to post it today at my expense. But then he phoned back to say a courier is collecting today.

I can't fault their service, it's just a shame they couldn't supply the right cover.

BTW the courier wanted to buy my car!

Hey guys, sorry to hear and see the evidence that they have not changed the sizing of the covers as John (Carcoverzone) said this had already been amended...obviously not! The cover I have that "does" fit is for the Jag S Type, as I put in the other thread about covers. The mirror pockets are in the correct place and the cover completely covers the entire car including the wheels.

Rich - did you speak to John at Car Coverzone at all? He is one of the top chaps there and he told me on the phone that he already had reviewed the sizes of the Cougar cover and would change to be the same as the Jag. I'm wondering if they supplied you with what was already on the shelf prior to me speaking to them about the size issue. Disappointed that they haven't sorted this, as I spoke to John twice on the phone as well as emails supplying them with photo's of the Coug together with cover required.

- - - Updated - - -

I would post up photo's of my new cover, but unfortunately my bloody digital camera has decided to stop working (it's done well, had it for years...a new one will be purchased shortly).