What Have You Done to Your Cougar Today?

Useful advice re. lifting. I usually aim for sills as there's less dents even with wooden blocks, my wood always splits into the cup bit on the axle stands. Just to reassure I had that 17" alloy under the sills/chasis rail thing as well as safety just in case of any collapse.

After fitting the front up rated discs and pads, I moved onto the rears, got everything fitted so went for a test drive to check all was ok, unfortunately when it came to the hand brake, that's where my problems started....pulled up on a hill, applied the handbrake thinking smugly to myself how much of a good job I had done on the brakes and......nothing....rolling backwards...:eek::(... so back to the unit I go, sulking all the way...Jack the car up, have a look around, cable, cable mechanism, etc etc, they all seem ok, so decide to check the calipers so started on the rear passenger side and was shocked at what I found, I had removed the caliper for a good inspection and noticed the spring where it connects to the handbrake cable was very stiff, so upon further inspection, I removed the black rubber boot to check inside, as soon as I get the boot off, I could see what the problem was.... there was a huge amount of rust and debri inside, so I took it all to pieces and found that the spring inside had broken into pieces, (see pics) so I am now waiting on a new caliper to be delivered on Monday... And I know someone on here posted an e bay link for a N/S R caliper the other day, but I missed it and it was £44 I think, the one I have on order is £55.80 and they want the old one or there is a surcharge...
IMG_1915.jpg
IMG_1916.jpg
IMG_1917.jpg

Franspeed, sounds like today was your lucky day. Or possibly not.

David, you need bigger blocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, despite my moaning a few days ago I decided to press on with refurbing the ST200 wheels, 2 days in and I've sanded them till my hands bled and given them a first coat of primer with the gun. Fairly happy so far but the dusting was to show up any imperfections which I will deal with tomorrow. :beer:
IMG_4557.jpg
IMG_4558.jpg

Cheers Matt. I came to the conclusion that I have the time to spend on them and I have the paints and spraying equipment at hand so just get on with it. :beer:

Jongibbon, maybe a little left field but......
A few years ago whilst smartening up an elderly bike I primed a component and then decided it was pretty close to the colour I was trying to achieve. A quick blow over with clear lacquer and it was job done.

Looks like you’ve got a really good finish in that primer, ideal base for the next coat.

Thanks for the comments, to be honest I still haven't decided what colour to finish them in.
Easiest choice is a nice sparkly silver but I'm also thinking of a glossy black and stick them on the ebony.
Now been advised not to go back to work at least until the end of June so who knows what I'll be doing to fill my time until then. :beer:

Scott, the C2 is black & red themed.
Probably going on that so I’ll trial a few things.
254c344dbdb852998e54ade7f6ab3b83.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trouble with matt black is that they look like gloss black dirty with brake dust.

Red would make it look like an 80s LEGO car, IMHO.

Not sure what I'd do to be honest. As a standard wheel, I might just go with a flat silver?