What Have You Done to Your Cougar Today?

Mako the handbrake one is there too.
Yes very pleased with them, although I might remove and adjust the gear lever one, I'm not convinced I've got it 100% right.

Removed mud flaps ready for paint, took out foam pads from up inside front wings, had electric front screen fitted by national windscreens, all working well �� next Thursday goes to panel craft in Cheltenham for the day to have all the dents removed then its into paint.

What is the actual purpose of those foam pads? I left mine in when I swapped the wing but wondering whether to remove it afterall

They are put there, and in other places, to try and combat NVH; noise, vibration and harshness. .

Still found in 'modern' vehicles although they are now, usually, vacuumed sealed in plastic bags.

Slight hi jack.
Today my DS passed another MOT. I need to book her in with Citroen for the expensive stamp in a book.

The works I’m executing in the kitchen are drawing to completion. Then I can prep the lil Suzi for her MOT.

Then I can put the Cougar into hibernation.

it is Cougar related, it’s forward planning

Removed back seat and rear 3/4 panels ready for a trip to panel perfect in Cheltenham to get all the parking dents sorted before paint, in side the panels look quite good, no rust on the drivers side and a little on the passenger side, removed foam pads as well.20200923_164409.jpg20200923_164405.jpg20200923_163556.jpg20200923_163533.jpg

Mabo, I also have one of those console rubber pads and I'm as yet to fit it. Doesn't removing the nipples off the back mean it slides about a lot?

The mat was first offered in the MK1 Mondeo which had two small holes in the recess in the centre console to accommodate the nipples on the back of it.

As Jon says, double-sided tape works if you decide to remove the nipples. (y)

Last edited:
I just cut the nipples off (oo err). but my double sided tape didn't last long, maybe I shouldn't have polished the console first . .
After that I just put up with it being loose, it didn't move much to be honest.

Car spent the day at panel perfect paintless dent removal in Cheltenham, did a fabulous job, very impressed, they did every panel from a major double dent in the drivers door to tiny little parking dings, some I didn't even realise I had.

Mabo, I also have one of those console rubber pads and I'm as yet to fit it. Doesn't removing the nipples off the back mean it slides about a lot?

Damian. I considered drilling the console to accept the nipples but figuring out where to drill would involve some guess work. I also figured the handbrake lever would be in the way, at this point I didn't want the faff.

Nipples amputated and the mat slotted into place, no adhesive. It hasn't moved since I put it there, maybe the fact that I haven't touched it is a factor. I don't need to touch it so all good.

Iirc, the one I have in DG came over from S97 via my mk1 Mondeo. They were more common place back then but as luck had it, when I bought S97 I still had the Mondy and of course immediately noticed the centre console similarities [emoji848]. Sliced off the nips and dropped it into the cougar, no adhesive needed, it just stays there. I suppose double sided carpet tape would be ideal if you do have a late slippery one. [emoji16]

Sent from my Xperia 10 using Tapitap

Painted rust kill inside rear quarter panels, painted over the top , refitted interior panels, cleaned and polished leather seats and refitted, not the most pleasant of jobs on your own but after much swearing it's all back in ��

Recently I had a very unusual work problem to resolve. I needed to get 180M of 18c cable to one of our jobs reasonably close to me.
For lots of reasons it was best achieved in the Cougar. M4 J43 A465. It’s a road I avoid when on my motorbike, it’s a fairly quiet stretch of dual carriageway and is difficult to keep to the legal limit, so I don’t ride it.

In the car it’s easy to stick to the limit but I took the opportunity to get the secondaries open when pulling away from a couple of the roundabouts and getting back to the legal speed.
Outbound I got to thinking I really need to get the 4 wheel tracking checked it feels.......light on the front.
On the return journey I didn’t experience the same problem.

Then the penny dropped, that roll of cable that 3 of us lifted out of the boot may have been a factor.

Not a cougar but Gems Qashqai, gearbox swap, if you ever get offered the chance to do a 4x4 gearbox swap on a Nissan Qashqai... run... run for your life... run for your sanity and run far far away. If you are a muppet that decides to have a go I have 1 piece of advice... Run... run for your life... run for your sanity and run far far away.

The main reason (by far not the only reason but the main reason) is because the 4x4 system is designed by Renault

The Gearbox weighs in at a uncomfortable on your arm 105kgs
it looks easy enough to drop out of the car through the overly gaping hole in the subframe - it does not fit through this hole
the Gearbox is almost the same size as the Duratec V6 engine
The drivers side drive shaft is well documented at becoming 1 with the support bracket
the support bracket has 10 bolts that become brittle 2 minutes after fitting them and will require drilling out the remains and recapping the holes ready for reassembly.
the passenger side drive shaft is held in place inside the gearbox by an oversize circlip. This circlip has to be at the 2:30 clock position to enable the drive shaft to be persuaded out of the gearbox.
762E9A6C-6467-410D-A3CD-2D2DC63F17F9.jpg It took me a weekend to remove the gearbox on my drive
i fitted a new clutch kit and now just need to put the hubs back on the car and the wheels

but seriously not a nice job by any stretch of the imagination but it saved £1100 doing it myself so worth the aggro I guess