Redex

Alucard

Forum user
Jun 24, 2011
stirling
Merry Crimbo people of Cougarsville. :p

My cat is still going strong, infact... she laughs in the face of mother nature and her poor excuse for an attempt at snow storms.

Just a quickie about Redex and the like..

Do you guys bother with the stuff ? or the likes ?

my cat has only done just over 80k and it's in fine conditions so was wanting to keep it good, so does Redex and the like help as much as i'm led to believe ?

Cheers in advance guys, and hope you are all having a good one.

I've seen some scary driving out there which is crazy as we're close to Christmas, but hey-ho.

Take it easy peeps. :oops:

if i fill up with shell i dont use it - queues at the shell garage can be horrendous hence if I have to use Supermarket I use redex every 3rd tank

Apart from the various detergents - which might already be in your fuel - the real active ingredient in these things is just kerosene.

Kero is a waxy liquid similar to Diesel. Jet engines run on it. In your car though, it acts as a solvent and lifts caked deposits.

Usually there's no harm in it and it'll keep a well-maintained engine clean. I used to run 2 doses a year in my Ks. But be careful using it in an older (or ragged) engine - it'll strip away carbon from the piston rings and valve seats, and can allegedly make blow-by worse.

In other words, if you know that it has been used, by all means keep using it. If you don't, you might want to find out what state your engine is in first.

I occasionally think about it but have never used it.
In fact for our C1, I can categorically say that the engine has never drunk the stuff in 140K miles and it still runs smooth and sweet. (owned this car from new).

I might give it a try though. :LOL:

I use Shell V-Power as thought that had everything within the fuel components with adding anything extra to my tank. I have used Redex products on previous cars as well as using on my Mondy too. I can say, it's always helped keeping everything running sweetly.

half price redex

If anyone is interested I bought a large bottle of RedEx, 250ml with 100% extra free (so thats 500ml) at Asda for half price on the 250ml bottle! I think I paid £2.99 or £3.99, you got love Asda for that :love:.

Last edited:
Just spotted this old thread, but I guess the responses are still highly relevant as the product and our cars haven't changed much !

I bought a couple of bottles of REDEX when Tesco first started their half price offers a few weeks ago. But I've been using it every fill of the tank ( I don't tend to top up in between ). I couldn't say there was an immediate difference, although the car seemed to be on its 'better' behaviour.

Just a quick reminder to everyone, that in the early days of owning this cougar, I had all sorts of unexplained poor performance issues that have now largely disappeared, but that was well before any REDEX.

Anyway, the good behaviour persisted and improvements have slowly continued. So much so that I intend to go and 'nab' the remainder of the local Tesco half price stock while it lasts. The car genuinely feels so much more responsive and eager than it has ever done. Perhaps this is what all your cats are like all the time and I have just had a minor, latent fault that is slowly clearing ? Anyway at a couple of quid a go it seems to be paying off, so why change ?

I should add that I've also tried ( again before and separate to, any REDEX ) all the other 'performance' petrols too. If anything they were actually worse as well as expensive. Which reminds me, I once acquired a Volvo 264 from work as an ex pool car. That had the 'Renault / Peugeot / Volvo' collaboration V6 2.7L with Bosch electro mechanical injection, that later became the basis for the DeLorean. It had always been run on 4 star as nobody knew any different and initially neither did I. But I found the owner's manual and it shocked me that it recommended 2 star. That made a world of difference to performance and transformed the driving experience for the better. As they say 'sometimes less is more'.

Interested to hear any other / new opinions on the matter... TIA

redex-petrol-fuel-system-cleaner-4-x-500ml--1626-p.jpg

A bit of the topic of Redex but opening the fuel can of worms again :eek:

A couple of times ive been caught short and used supermarket fuel ive found she runs like a nail, she doesnt feel as fast and feels worked to get up hills.

I dont bother with Redex or the like but I only ever use BP Ultimate.

As I mentioned above, I used to use it in both of my Mk3 Rover 200s. I didn't really notice any improvement, but then I didn't really expect to - both of them were low mileage and so were unlikely to feel the benefit. It was really just precautionary.

I don't remember ever using any additives in Mako, but Tiger has been treated with Forte a couple of times and I definitely felt a difference; especially at idle, oddly enough.

I discovered the stuff after Jinxy failed on emissions one year, (low mileage and in need of an oil change, so the catalyst was contaminated). MOT guy suggested it to us and said, "Dump in half a bottle, go for a nice long drive, and come back in an hour." Sailed through clean as a whistle.

:edit: Dan ninja'd in there, so just to be clear I'm talking about Redex. As for fuel, I have never met a K-series that "liked" running on anything other than BP's 95 RON. It's also the only thing that Tiger gets, with 1 tank in 10 being Ultimate.

Its good stuff that Forte, not needed to use it in V650 but it has helped a few other cars get though the MOT.

My mothers Peugeot had a engine warning light on about a year ago which came back to some obscure emissions code, I chucked in a bottle of forte and gave it a good thrashing and the code never came back :)

I have to say that I live next door to an oil refinery and trust me when I say the supermarket fuel is the same as the standard oil company brands.

With regards to Redex, I tend to buy it when it's on offer in Tesco. It's been years since I had a Cougar but I never noticed in difference in that or any other car that I've had. I see it as more of a preventive thing.

I know the fuel all comes off the same ships and out of the same tanks, but I thought that the various detergents and such were added when the tankers are filled?

Otherwise, why would BP care when (on occasion) their distribution guys accidentally put Shell fuel in the forecourt tanks?

As Chris said its the additives that are different.

Its all the same in the tanks at the refinery, when the tankers are loaded for delivery thats when the additives are added or if your buying supermarket fuel nothing is being added at all

Would be very hard to load shell into a BP tanker with all the stop checks in place ,driver has to enter order number and trip number before the arms will fill the tanker for example

Thanks Dan - I was relying on a memory of a legal dispute that happened some 15 years or so ago, I think? Chelmsford maybe? Anyway, I feel pretty certain that you of all people would know.

As you say, (and as infrequently as it happens) there are checks to stop it happening, but I assume that even tanker drivers and loaders sometimes have to work before their first coffee of the day.

The main thing that can go wrong is the tanker driver putting it into the wrong tank at the forecourt, Ive only known it happen once when they put Diesel into an Unleaded tank..that was an expensive mistake for him :eek:

It's all fuel, it starts, it runs and it costs a dam fortune :LOL:
Working for a company that purchases £150million worth of fuel a week, you see the true cost of it and its Penny's compared to what you pay at the pump!
But as Dan rightly pointed it, it's just the additives and if you add Millers or similar in, buy the cheap fuel ;)